30 June 2023 - NW2181
Bodlani, Ms T to ask the Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies
1. Whether he will furnish Ms T Bodlani with a list of (a) government departments and (b) entities with bank accounts in the Postbank; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details; 2. Whether he will furnish Ms T Bodlani with a list of services that the Post Bank provides to the specified government departments and entities that are currently utilising the services of the Post Bank; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details; 3. Which government departments and/or entities have pledged to bank with the Post Bank?
(1)(a)(b) The Protection of Personal Information Act No. 4 of 2013 (POPI Act), specifically Section 11, prohibits the dissemination (disclosure) of personal information about data subjects (entities or individuals) without their consent.
(2) Services rendered to government and entities transacting with Postbank include:
• Disbursement of net stipends/wages to Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) participants.
• Disbursement of social grants to beneficiaries of social subsidies through the Special Disbursement Account.
• Collection of municipal rates and taxes
• Banking (opening accounts) the unbanked EPWP participants to enable disbursement through a bank account.
• PQ2181 Ms T Bodlani (DA) to ask Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies
(3) There is no government department and/or entity that has pledged to do business with Postbank. However, it is in Postbank’s strategy to expand its services to other Government departments and entities.