19 March 2021 - NW102
Wilson, Ms ER to ask the Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation
With regard to the Nzhelele Water Scheme Project in the Musina Local Municipality in the past 12 months, what (a) maintenance was done by her department on the water canal, (b) was the financial implication to her department thereof, (c) is the maintenance backlog on the canal and (d) is the projected cost of the maintenance backlog?
a) I have been informed that in the last 12 months the Department of Water and Sanitation’s Northern Operations has carried out repairs to the Nzhelele Mount Steward Syphon 2/3. In addition, maintenance activities of the irrigation system are scheduled as indicated below:
- Canal D (total length 7.10 km),
- Canal E (total length 2.7 km)
- Canal A (total length 2.74 km)
- Clearing of vegetation and cutting of branches overhanging above the canal
- Application of herbicide
- Removal of debris, algae and sediment from the canal
- Grading of the access roads
- Construction of gabions
- Repairing of damaged sluices
- Earthwork in dispersive soil at E Canal
b) The budget for the rehabilitation and maintenance of the canal is R 2.4 million.
c) The maintenance backlog will be addressed through ongoing rehabilitation and maintenance of the canal as indicated above.
d) The budget for these activities is R 2.4 million.