26 November 2020 - NW1978
Mohlala, Mr M to ask the Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation
What (a) number of (i) financial and (ii) nonfinancial turnaround strategies has been taken by her department in the past five years and (b) are the relevant costs of the restructuring programmes and turnaround strategies when using external consultants to undertake these interventions?
Department of Human Settlements (DHS):
a) There was one Turnaround Strategy and Restructuring Programme undertaken by my Department of Human Settlements in the past 5 years. This was undertaken to align the revised departmental mandate from focusing on housing to the development of Human Settlements, as well as to align personnel resources in response to the National reduction of Compensation of Employees Budget. The process needed an Organisational Structure Review and Alignment, where there were:
- financial costs for the Organisational Structure Review and Alignment Project, which was done through an external service provider in 2016-2018, due to insufficient capacity internally;
- non-financial costs for review of the MTSF Strategy, as it was done by existing internal personnel.
b) The total external service provider costs amounted to R706 299.16 for consultancy services for the Organisational Structure Review and Alignment Project. The deliverables concluded by the service provider included:
- Recommendations report
- Business Case
- Macro Organisational Structure
- Micro Organisational Structure
- Job Descriptions and reports
- Job Evaluation and reports
- Competency report
- Implementation Plan and Migration strategy
- Human Resource Plan (draft)
- Employment Equity Plan (draft)
- Project close-out report
- Costing model
- Project administration reports
Department of Water and Sanitation:
(a)(i) In 2019 the Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS), in consultation with National Treasury, developed a financial turnaround strategy that is currently being implemented. DWS has not sought the services of consultants.
(ii) The department is currently in the process of reviewing its organisational structure using internal resources.
(b) The DWS has not sought the services of consultants for the review of the structure or the financial and non-financial turnaround strategies in the past five years.