14 August 2020 - NW1758
King, Ms C to ask the Minister of Basic Education to ask the Minister of Basic Education
(a) What are the recommended cleaning chemicals which should be used for cleaning schools as per the guidelines of the World Health Organisation, (b) is her department implementing the recommendations regarding which cleaning chemicals must be used and (c) what are the recommended prices for sanitiser and cleaning materials to be used at schools as per National Treasury recommendation; (2) whether the chemical Benzalkonium Chloride is one of the chemicals used in cleaning schools; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what are the relevant details?
The Department of Basic Education has developed Guidelines for schools on Maintaining Hygiene during the COVID-19 pandemic, which includes essential cleaning and disinfection, the use of PPE, social distancing and hand hygiene as recommended by the World Health Organisation (WHO). Section J.(4) (i) of the document includes technical specifications and use of disinfectants as:
- Alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol; and
- Disposable alcohol-based wipes.
The South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) approved detergents and disinfectants:
- Ethyl alcohol (70%) to disinfect small arears between use and cleaning cycles;
- Chlorine, hypochlorine (strength 1000 - 10 000 ppm);
- Sodium Hypocjhlorine (household bleach) at 0% (equivalent to 5000 ppm); and
- Hydrogen peroxide gas - for general disinfection of classes and offices.
2. The recommended chemicals are stipulated in 1 (a).