29 June 2020 - NW1293
Van Der Walt, Ms D to ask the Minister of Basic Education to ask the Minister of Basic Education
With regard to the 3 475 schools that were identified by her department as schools with critical water supply challenges, (a) what are the names of the specified schools in each province, (b) who will provide the schools with water supplies, (c) what water resources will be delivered and installed at the schools and (d) by what date will the schools receive their water supply in order to comply with Covid-19 school compliance protocols?
a) A list of the 3 475 schools is attached. It is important to note that there are constant refinements of the list. The emergency water supply programme is currently implemented at 3 335 schools.
b) The Department of Basic Education appointed Rand Water as the implementing agent for the emergency water supply programme. Rand Water will ensure that these schools have at least 1 on-site storage tank and then arrange for water delivery to such tank.
c) Rand Water will ensure that these schools have at least 1 on-site storage tank and then arrange for water delivery to such tank.
d) The status on 25 June 2020 is as follows:
- In EC, out of the 746 tanks required, 710 have already been installed
- In FS, all of the 69 tanks required have been installed
- In KZN, out of the 1 125 tanks required, 331 have been installed
- In LP, out of the 522 tanks required, 419 have been installed
- In MP, all of the 127 tanks required have been installed
- In NW, all of the 56 tanks required have been installed
- The majority of the schools will be ready for accepting additional grades on 6 July 2020. The balance will be ready by 8 August 2020 for the opening of all grades.