22 November 2018 - NW3174
Oosthuizen, Mr GC to ask the Minister of Higher Education and Training
(1) Whether she has been informed of the offer by the George Local Municipality to the South Cape Technical and Vocational Education and Training College for a land swap which will alleviate the limitations to extend the facilities on the current George campus site; if so, does her department support the plans; (2) What would the estimated budget be for the construction of a completely new campus; 3) Whether her department is currently seeking funding for the project; if so, what are the relevant details; (4) Has an action plan been drafted and approved; if so, (a) what are the relevant details, (b) what would the next step be in the action plan and (c) who will be responsible for the execution thereof?
- The Department granted permission to the South Cape Technical and Vocational Education and Training College to exchange its George Campus for the specified vacant municipal land on 13 December 2017, if both parties enter into a formal agreement.
- The estimated budget for the construction of the new campus will be R565 million.
- The College has solicited funding from the Services Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA), which has been approved by its Board. A meeting was held in August 2018 between the College, Municipality and Services SETA where Services SETA reaffirmed their commitment to fund the project.
- (a) The design and plans of the new campus have already been developed with different phases of construction.
b) The next phase is addressing the rezoning and bulk services with the local municipality.
c) The execution of the project will be a joint responsibility between the South Cape TVET College and Services SETA with the Department playing an oversight role.