04 July 2023 - NW2386
Horn, Mr W to ask the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs
With reference to the intervention into the administration of the Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality, what (a) was the total amount owed to the Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality by each (i) national and (ii) provincial department and (iii) state-owned entity in the period 1 May 2022 to 1 May 2023 and (b) steps have been taken by the intervention team to ensure that the specified departments and entities duly pay their municipal accounts?
- (i) National departments: R 92 564 557
- Provincial departments: R 346 382 610
- State-owned entities: R 76 313 507
- The Mangaung Intervention Team has taken the following steps to facilitate payment of municipal accounts from departments and state owed entities:
- Meetings were held with different departments to discuss the payment of municipal debts;
- Letters of demand have been issued to the different departments;
- Services have already been disconnected from provincial government. They were reconnected only after payment of R 50 million as well as commitment to make a payment arrangement for the remaining outstanding amount. Government has been given until 30 June 2023 to provide a formal payment arrangement. Should there be a failure to submit, they will be disconnected again.
- Re-allocations or reconciliation of accounts with credit balances and accounts with debt balances is in progress.