05 March 2021 - NW25
Madlingozi, Mr BS to ask the Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture”
1. Given his decision to remove retired judge Zak Yacoob as Chairperson of the interim board of Cricket South Africa, what reasons motivated him to appoint Dr Stavros Nicolaou as his replacement; 2. what expertise has he found will Dr Nicolaou bring to his department, after he has been appointed for a third term by the President of the Republic, Mr M C Ramaphosa, to the board of Brand South Africa, and appointed by the Minister of Public Enterprises as Chairman of the Board of SA Express
1. In appointing Dr Stavros Nicolaou as a replacement for Judge Zak Yacoob to chair the Cricket SA Interim Board, the Minister took the following facts into consideration, amongst others: -
- A replacement coming from Interim Board, for continuity purposes
- business acumen of the incumbent
- interpersonal skills
- his active supportive role when Judge Yacoob was still the Chairperson.
- His acumen in Corporate governance issues was an added advantage.
2. Dr Stavros Nicolaou will be replacing Judge Yacoob for the balance of the Cricket SA Interim Board tenure, which is April 2021. Dr Nicolaou was considered for his business knowledge and experience gained in public entities like Brand SA, Public Enterprise and SA Express as the kind of skills the Interim Board would benefit from in discharging their public mandate. That has also assisted in ensuring that he hits the ground running as Interim Board Chairperson.