09 September 2020 - NW1763
Brink, Mr C to ask the Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs
.Whether, with reference to the municipalities where the District Development Model (DDM) has been piloted since 2019, a report has been compiled about the successes and failures of the DDM in each specified municipality, if not (a) is a report of this nature in progress and (b) by what date will it be published; if so, what have been the most significant findings about each municipality and the DDM in general? NW2153E
Cabinet approved the District Development Model on the 21 August 2019, to be firstly piloted in OR Tambo District Municipality, Ethekwini Metropolitan Municipality and Waterberg District Municipality. The first phase consisted of launches by the President in the following order, 17 September 2019, 18 October 2019 and 26 November 2019.
The establishment phase comprised mainly of five areas of work.
- The development of profiles for the three pilots,
- Soliciting government (national, province and local) and parastatal projects, programmes and expenditure in the three pilots,
- Soliciting private sector investment where possible,
- Hosting an event where the pilot is launched,
- Intergovernmental engagement and hosting of business and community engagements;
- Implementing post launch programmes such as, conducting a skills gap and institutional capacity analysis;
It is therefore still premature to identify successes and failures in the District pilot sites as per the question of the Honourable member.