Question NW28 to the Minister of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development
28 February 2020 - NW28
Sindane, Mr P to ask the Minister of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development
Whether there are any programmes to support commercial goat farmers in the Vhembe Region; if not, what is the position in this regard; what are the relevant details?
Enclosed herein is the reply to question no: 28/NW31E for your approval should you agree with the contents thereof. The information was supplied by the Branch: Food Security and Agrarian Reform as guided by the provincial Department of Agriculture in Limpopo.
QUESTION NO: 28/NW31E
- The Vhembe District’s goat industry has a total of 73 416 goats owned by 9291 farmers. There are 202 commercial farmers owning a total of 9775 herd of goats. The bulk population of 63641 goat herd is owned by 9089 communal farmers.
- The Department provides the following services to the farmers, namely: -
- Technical Advisory Support
- Veterinary Support
- Drought Relief Support and
- Technical and Business Skills Development (Capacity Building).
- There are two gene producers in the Vhembe District, whom from export goats, mainly to Zimbabwe. The department provides Health Certification for Export to the farmers in terms of export protocols.