07 January 2020 - NW1668
Hill-Lewis, Mr GG to ask the Minister of Public Enterprises
What are the details of the contingency measures and/or plans of the SA Airways (SAA) that are in place to assist its passengers when flights are grounded due to strikes?
According to the information received from the South African Airways:
- SAA initiated the airlines Re- Accommodation Policy which provide customers with alternatives (Date Changes, Rebooking on other airlines).
- SAA customers are able to book on partner airlines, including SA Express, Mango, SA Airlink and Codeshare Partner Airlines, as well as Star Alliance partner Airlines.
- SAA provides hotel accommodation for those passengers who cannot be booked on a flight.
- SAA book passengers on South African Airways flights for a later date at no extra charge.
- SAA extends the validity of the affected tickets to a date determined by the airline.
- SAA offers refunds to customers who decide to cancel their flights.
- SAA opens multiple channels of communication and extend the Call Centres operating hours.
- SAA deploys additional resources to assist with passenger interaction at all airports, the airline operates from, with the bulk of resources at SAA’s hub at OR Tambo International Airport, in Johannesburg.