03 December 2018 - NW3544
Shinn, Ms MR to ask the Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services
Whether, with reference to his reply to question 1529 on 4 June 2018, the full costs of hosting the International Telecommunications Union’s Telecom World Conference in Durban in September 2018 was covered by sponsorships received; if not, (a) what amount of the total cost was not covered by sponsorships, (b) to whom was the shortfall paid and (c) from which budget allocation of his department was the shortfall paid; if so, what (i) is the name of each sponsor who paid money over to his department and (ii) was the value of each sponsorship?
I have been advised by the Department that:
No, the full cost of hosting the International Telecommunication Union’s Telecom World Exhibition and Forum was not entirely covered by sponsorship.
a) The amount not covered by sponsorship was R 11, 5 Million (estimated pending receipt of one outstanding invoice)
b) The shortfall was paid by the Department to:
- the contracted Travel Agent of the Department(TWF) for ITU Staff flights R1 713 046.00
- South African Police Services for Safety and Security Services R4 800 000.00
- South African Police Services for Accommodation R2 595 810.00
- Skynet Courier services R701 110.00
- Skynet Customs and VAT R170 253.00
- SABC for Broadcasting R1 375 177.00 and
- Kwazulu-Natal Health Department. R173 219.00
c) The shortfall was paid from the International Affairs and Trade budget through virement from other programs and through appropriation during the AENE process.
Approved / not approved
Ms S Ndabeni - Abrahams
MINISTER OF COMMUNICATIONS