06 September 2017 - NW2245
Mhlongo, Mr TW to ask the Minister of Basic Education
Has her department developed any joint plans with the Department of Social Development and/or the SA Police Service to assist learners who are engaged in substance abuse; if not, why not; if so, (a) what do the plans entail and (b) is there a specific budget allocated (i) nationally and/or (ii) to each province for the implementation of these plans?
The DBE has a partnership protocol with the South African Police Services (SAPS) and a close collaboration with the Department of Social Development in providing referral services for learners who are engaged in substance abuse.
(a) what do the plans entail
- Linking of schools to local police stations
- Conducting searches and seizures in line with the South African School’s Act, 1996 (SASA)
- Facilitating the signing of Provincial Partnership Protocols
- Combatting alcohol and drug use amongst learners in schools
- Closure of taverns/shebeens in close proximity of schools
- Searches and seizures in schools upon reasonable suspicion of the carrying of/or trading in illegal substances or weapons
- Addressing gangsterism in schools and communities
- Crime prevention programmes in schools
(b) is there a specific budget allocated
(i) nationally and/or
- The national department has a budget to train and monitor the implementation of programmes by provinces.
(ii) to each province for the implementation of these plans?
- Provinces budget for implementation of their own programmes.