Question NW3223 to the Minister of Home Affairs

Share this page:

30 September 2022 - NW3223

Profile picture: Sithole, Mr KP

Sithole, Mr KP to ask the Minister of Home Affairs

What (a) number of fraudulent marriages has his department reversed since 1 January 2022 and (b) are the details of the steps that his department has taken to end fraudulent marriage certification?


a) Five hundred and fifty-three (553) fraudulent marriages have been finalised since 1 January 2022.

b) Due to the number of fraudulent marriages reported every year, the department has implemented measures that have largely contributed in reducing the number of fraudulent marriages, as follows:

  • Introduction a new marriage register form (DHA-30) with requires a photo and thumbprint of the couples for verification purposes.
  • The Department requires prospective couples to make an appointment with nearest front office to verify the marital status and to subject themselves for brief interviews prior to registration of the marriage.
  • Couples are also advised and forewarned that marriage is a legally binding contract and that they should be fully aware of the consequences. Couples are thereby encouraged to seek legal advice regarding the benefits and disadvantages of accepting marriage, regardless of it being to a foreigner, as fraudulent marriages are prevalent mainly with foreign nationals marrying South Africans for convenience purposes.
  • On the day of the marriage a couple must present the following documents to the person officiating the marriage ceremony:
  • Identity documents (for each person getting married)
  • If a foreign national is marrying a South African citizen, the non-citizen should present a valid passport as well as well as a completed BI-31 Form (Declaration for the Purpose of Marriage, Letter of no impediment to confirm that he/she is not married in country of origin)
  • If the marriage is for a minor (a person under the age of 18 years), written consent is needed in the form of DHA32 by both parents/ legal guardian or form DHA34 from the Commissioner of Child Welfare or a judge. In the case where the marriage is between minors under the ages of 18 for boys or 15 for girls, written consent from the Minister of Home Affairs will also be required
  • If any of the persons who are getting married are divorced, then the final decree of divorce should be furnished.
  • If any of the persons who are getting married are widowed, the deceased spouse’s death certificate must be submitted.



Source file