Question NW108 to the Minister of Home Affairs

Share this page:

19 March 2021 - NW108

Profile picture: Abrahams, Ms ALA

Abrahams, Ms ALA to ask the Minister of Home Affairs

a) What initiatives and/or programmes does his department offer to homeless persons in the Republic to ensure that they have (i) identity documents and their children have (ii) birth certificates and (b) is this service free of charge for homeless persons?


a) (i) & (ii)

The Department of Home Affairs does not have specific initiatives and/or programmes for homeless persons.

However, the department assists only in cases of disaster wherein the disaster management from various municipalities provides a disaster management report and certificate in order for the department to determine the kind of service required as well as the cost element attached to it. Upon receiving of the latter mentioned documents, the department may waive the fees of those affected.

(b) The services for registration of first issuance of identity documents and birth certificates is free of charge.


Source file