19 June 2023 - NW1988
Montwedi, Mr Mk to ask the Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy
What (a) social responsibility programmes have been implemented by Kalgold Mine near Kraaipan in the North West in the past 10 years and (b) measures have been put in place to deal with defaulting mines that do not support their local communities?
a) Kalgold Mine, Kalahari Gold Ridge Mining Company Ltd) near Kraaipan in the North-West, is a mining right holder of NW 30/5/1/2/2 77MR. The Social Responsibility Programme implemented in the past 10 years, which from the perspective of the provisions of the Act, is a Social and Labour Plan, that is part of the mining right holder’s obligation, are as follows:
- Reverse Osmosis Water Project in Kraaipan village.
- Community Skills Development and SMME Facility in Kraaipan village.
- Setlagole RDP Houses Settlement Formalisation for Setlagole village.
- Mining Education Infrastructure in Ratlou community – renovated one classroom into computer laboratory at Aaron Letsapa Primary.
- SMME Development in Ratlou – Sewing project in Kraaipan village.
- Refurbishment of Centre for Itereleng Self-Help Group in Madibogo.
- Broad-Based Livelihood Vegetable and Livestock in Ratlou.
- Youth Development Mobile Centre (ICT) at Ratlou Municipality.
- Madibogo Tyre and Wheel Alignment.
- Kraaipan Bricks and Aggregate Manufacturing.
- And contributions towards various CSI initiatives (Donations of Laptops to top matric leaners, NGO Capacity building), Renovations of Resegofetse Early Learning Centre, Renovations of three classrooms)
In addition to the above, Kalgold Mine has offered 17 external bursaries, 05 external learnerships, 14 internships to the external candidates also.
b) The Department issues administrative orders in terms of section 93 to remedy non compliances.