29 October 2020 - NW1838
Tito, Ms LF to ask the Minister of Home Affairs
What (a) total number of Home Affairs offices have been closed since the beginning of the lockdown to curb the spread of Covid-19, (b) services have been affected the most and (c) measures has his department put in place to deal with the backlog?
a) A total of 92 offices were closed since beginning of the lockdown to curb the spread of Covid-19.
b) The following services were affected during the period:
- Death registration
- Births Registration
- Temporary Identity Certificates
- Re-issuance of Births Certificates
- Collection of Identity Documents
- Late Registration of Birth (LRB)
- Registration and Solemnization of Marriages
- Smart ID Cards applications for leaners
- Applications for amendments and rectifications
- Withdrawal of records at the back office
c) The Department initiated a recovery plan to workout production lost from various branches as follows:
- Implementation of rotational plans or introduction of shift system to cater for those who might be infected by COVID-19.
- Gradual re-introduction of services or products to clients using a phased approach
- Use of virtual meetings to monitor and report progress.
- Continuous communication to clients and the public on new services that were introduced or reopened.
- The department has public awareness on services that were reintroduced or reopened.
- Use of community Radio and virtual launches on certain products such Smart ID Cards to learners, particularly matriculants.
- Use of mobile offices to reach out to communities.
- Segmentation of services and directing clients to different catchment areas using pamphlets, provincial managers and local managers to inform clients.