ATC150520: Report of the Portfolio Committee on Basic Education on the Official Handover of the Valhalla Primary School in Metro North Education District, Western Cape, dated 19 May 2015
The Portfolio Committee on Basic Education, having participated in the official handover of the Valhalla Primary School in Metro North District, Western Cape on the 27th March 2015, reports as follows:
- A delegation of the Portfolio Committee on Basic Education undertook a visit to participate in the official handover of the Valhalla Primary School in the Metro North District, Western Cape on Friday, 27 March 2015.
- The delegation comprised the following members of the Portfolio Committee on Basic Education: Hon N Gina MP (ANC) (Chairperson), Hon H S Boshoff MP (DA) and Hon D Van Der Wald MP (DA).
- The delegation from the Ministry of Basic Education included Mr D Ngobeni: Head of Special Projects and other officials from communications and Physical Planning Unit.
- Members of staff who formed part of the delegation included Mr M Kekana (Researcher), and Ms S Ntabeni (Committee Assistant).
The Accelerated Schools Infrastructure Initiative (ASIDI) is a national programme that aims to eradicate and replace inappropriate school infrastructure in the country, such as mud school buildings and other unsafe structures. ASIDI also aims to ensure that all schools have access to basic services such as water, sanitation and electricity. The Schools Infrastructure Backlog Grant (SIBG) introduced in the 2011/12 financial year, funds the ASIDI programme.
ASIDI is a massive R8.2-billion public-private partnership programme and one of the Government's Strategic Infrastructure Projects (SIPs) as part of the broader Presidential Infrastructure Coordinating Commission (PICC). ASIDI aims to replace some 510 schools in the country built from inappropriate materials.
3. Briefing Session with the Ministry of Basic Education – Mr D Ngobeni
The Ministry of Basic Education (DBE) welcomed and appreciated the participation of the Portfolio Committee on the official handover of the Valhalla Primary School. The delegation received a brief background on the school to be handed over. The handover of Valhalla Primary School in Cape Town, Western Cape as the Accelerated Schools Infrastructure Development Initiative (ASIDI) marks its 99th school handover.
The school was built at a cost of R34 million, is capable of accommodating 1036 learners and is a state of the art school boasting 28 classrooms, a library and science laboratory. All classrooms, the administration block, kitchen, and multi-purpose hall were fully equipped with the necessary furniture, appliances and apparatus. The library, on inspection, was stocked with some books.
4. Official Handover of the Valhalla Primary School – Hon A Motshekga, Minister of Basic Education
The delegation held a briefing session with all stakeholders which included amongst others, District Officials, local Government Leaders, the Principal, the School Governing Body, Unions and other stakeholders on Government’s initiative on the school to be handed over. The delegation was taken on a site-visit and walk-about of the school before the official handover ceremony. During the handover ceremony, Hon A Motshekga, Minister of Basic Education gave the keynote address, urging members of the community, teachers and learners to take ownership of the school and look after its facilities and resources. This was followed by the official unveiling of the plaque which concluded proceedings.
No related documents