ATC181023: Report of the Select Committee on Social Services on the National Health Laboratory Services Amendment Bill [B15B – 2017] (National Assembly – Section 76), dated 23 October 2018
The following report replaces the report of the Select Committee on Social Services which was published page 88 in ATC No 152 dated 23 October 2018.
- Report of the Select Committee on Social Services
Report of the Select Committee on Social Services on the National Health Laboratory Services Amendment Bill [B15B – 2017] (National Assembly – Section 76), dated 23 October 2018.
The Department of Health briefed the committee on 12 June 2018 on the National Health Laboratory Services Amendment Bill [B15B – 2017]. The Bill was referred to the committee on 24 April 2018.
The Select Committee on Social Services, having deliberated on and considered the subject of the National Health Laboratory Services Amendment Bill [B15B – 2017]. (National Assembly – sec 76), referred to it and classified by the JTM as a section 76 Bill, reports that it has agreed to an amended Bill [B15D – 2017]
1. On page 3, in line 21, to omit “[provide]” and to substitute “provide and”.
1. That the following be a new clause:
Amendment of section 5 of Act 37 of 2000
4. Section 5 of the principal Act is hereby amended—
(a) by the substitution in subsection (1) for paragraph (b) of the following paragraph:
"(b) promote the training of its laboratory and associated personnel;"; and
(b) by the substitution in subsection (2) for paragraphs (c) and (d) of the following paragraphs, respectively:
"(c) participate in joint research operations with departments of State, universities, [technikons] universities of technology, colleges, museums, scientific institutions and other persons;
(d) co-operate with educational authorities and scientific or technical societies or industrial institutions representing employers and employees, respectively, for the promotion of the instruction and training of pathologists, technologists, technicians, scientists researchers, technical experts and other supporting personnel in universities, [technikons,] universities of technology and colleges;".
1. On page 3, in line 46, to omit “and”.
2. On page 3, in line 47, to omit “.” and to substitute “; and”
3. On page 3, after line 47, to insert the following:
(f) three members, each representing a cluster of three provinces that must be prescribed based on demographics, access to laboratory services and laboratory services distribution, and who must be nominated on a rotational basis by the respective provinces in the prescribed manner.
1. That the following be a new clause:
Amendment of section 8 of Act 37 of 2000
6. Section 8 of the principal Act is hereby amended—
(a) by the substitution for subsections (1) and (2) of the following subsections, respectively:
‘‘(1) The Minister must, after consultation with the relevant bodies and institutions, appoint the members contemplated in [section 7(b), (c), (e), (f) and (g) after consultation with the relevant bodies and institutions] section 7(1)(c) and (e) and [must], in so doing, ensure that appropriate laboratory professionals are appointed.
(2) The Minister must, before appointing the members contemplated in [section 7(d)] section 7(1)(d), by notice in the Gazette and in a national newspaper circulating in every province of the Republic invite all interested persons to nominate, within the period specified in the notice, persons who in the opinion of such interested persons are fit to be so appointed, stating the grounds upon which such opinion is based.’’; and
(b) by the substitution for subsection (4) for the following subsection:
“(4) The members of the Board may hold office for a period of at least three years, as the Minister may determine at the time of appointment, but must be eligible for reappointment, which reappointment must not be more than once.”.
1. On page 5, in line 2, to omit “”.”.
2. On page 5, after line 2, to insert the following:
(6) The subparagraph (5) appointment is subject to persons who were members of the dissolved Board not constituting more than six members of the Board.
Report to be considered
No related documents