South African Police Services on 2012/13 Annual Report: Programmes 4 and 5 briefing

This premium content has been made freely available


11 October 2013
Chairperson: Ms A van Wyk (ANC)
Share this page:

Meeting Summary

The South African Police Services(SAPS) continued with its briefing on the 2012/13 Annual Report, in relation to the Programmes 4 (Crime Intelligence) and 5 (Protection and Security Services). Crime Intelligence aimed to contribute to the neutralising of crime by gathering, collating and analysing intelligence that led to an actionable policing activity. It comprised of two sub programmes of Crime Intelligence Operations,  and Intelligence and Information Management. Questions which were raised by the Committee related to whether SAPS had achieved its goals, and why it was still referring to the Soccer World Cup, which had taken place in the 2011/12 financial year. They questioned the vacancy rate within the Department as the vacancy rate was still 16.8%, and pending court cases. The Committee also had a problem with the Department lowering targets, saying that this would actually pose a threat to the SAPS itself. They asked how many members within SAPS had security clearance. The SAPS explained that the issues regarding vetting arose from lack of communication with HR department, and that no posts which were affected by court cases would be filled until cases pending were settled. It was working on normalisation and stabilisation and therefore took into consideration which crucial posts needed to be advertised. HR determined whether vacancies were in line with funded posts. The Committee disagreed with this arrangement and stated that the SAPS created a wish list, and that it needed to pay closer attention to how it was wording its targets and strategy. The Committee was concerned that SAPS could not give a logical explanation to lowering of targets, and it was therefore questioned where funds from the previous year had actually gone. The Committee requested that a bimonthly report on vetting in terms of security clearances due to back log should be submitted to the Committee.

Programme 5: Protection and Security Services, provided protection and security services to all identified dignitaries and government interests. Its strategic objective was to minimise security violations. It had three sub programmes: VIP Protection Services, Static and Mobile Security and Government Security Regulator. The Committee asked how many attacks were recorded this year, in terms of VIP Protection Services, and asked what was happening with the K9 unit in designated areas. Members also wanted to know what the specific challenges were around security breaches, and why the four National Key Points were not evaluated. They also asked what percentage of VIP staff had been subject to any disciplinary process and whether an analysis of this had been done. They wanted to know how many disciplinary cases were done in terms of the VIP Protection Unit and sanctions. They asked about overtime. The SAPS said that it would answer in writing, because this information was available on the database. There had been six security breaches; one in the Western Cape Parliament, and housebreaking and thefts. Questions were asked about the K9 Unit, and the type of dogs deployed. The Committee insisted that full written reports be given, by Wednesday 16 October, on litigation costs of SAPS for VIP unit, disciplinary report on VIP unit, mobility and static units, and a full report on security clearances.

Meeting report

Department of Police/ South African Police Services (SAPS) 2012 Annual Report briefings
Programme 4: Crime Intelligence
General Mangwashi (Riah) Phiyega, National Commissioner of Police Services, giving her background information to the presentation, stated that the challenges around the South African Police Services / Department of Police (SAPS or the Department) in this financial year had revolved around continuous Acting leadership, due to reasons beyond the Department’s control. However, that acting leadership had also brought some positive results, in terms of having sparked more leadership guidance and consolidation, and for that reason would have an impact on collective accountability on the team and strong team attributes in the team environment.

She also noted that this report was presented against questions asked on the intensity of the environment of crime mitigating efforts. The Department needed to strengthen its provincial leadership of the environment, as currently it was struggling. It needed to revisit its Annual Performance Plan (APP) to strengthen its performance indicators. When these were well articulated, formulated and programmed to measure what the Department had to achieve, this would provide better focus to the whole organisation. Criminal Intelligence should be both inward and outward looking and the balance was very crucial. In this year, the Department was more inward looking than outward-looking, and this would have to be re-thought.

The issues of criminality of SAPS own members were taken care of , as well as issues of capacity, training and recruiting proper staff . The Department must know its capacity, and meet the growing challenges of sophisticated crimes. The Department had training, but was looking for other training platforms. It would deal with the issues of morale and positivity in order to create an enabling environment which re-ignited the members and staff of the Department for a better working environment.

She noted that the Department had separated the structure of Protection Services from Crime Intelligence (CI), in an attempt to reach more efficient work. There would be a more detailed report on the aspirations for the forum in the following year.

Lt General Stefan Schutte, Deputy National Commissioner, responsible for Financial and Administrative Services, SAPS, introduced the presentation by referring to the different sub-programmes. The purpose of Crime Intelligence was to manage crime intelligence and analyse crime information, and provide technical support for investigations and crime prevention operations. The strategic objective was to contribute to the neutralising of crime by gathering, collating and analysing intelligence that would lead to an actionable policing activity. The Crime Intelligence programme comprised out of the following two sub-programmes of Crime Intelligence Operations (CIO), and Intelligence and Information Management (IIM).

The CIO had an adjusted estimate of R1 033 billion and the actual expenditure on 31 March 2013 was R1 016 billion, meaning 98.3% was spent. IIM had an adjusted estimate of R1 556 billion and an actual expenditure on 31 March 2013 was R1 553 billion, meaning 99.8% was spent. The overall adjusted estimate was R2 590 billion, and there was actual expenditure of R2 570 billion. The spending was described as:
- Personnel intensive (compensation 89% of total budget) which did not include secret service account
- Equipment and operational expenses, including fuel, which was approximately R78 million; oil and vehicles at R50 million, maintenance of fleet atR36 million
- Telecommunications, at R29.4 million.

The Chairperson stated to the Department that the figures on the slides were not the same as that of hand-outs and should be corrected. She referred specifically to page 145, which referred to page 214 of the Annual report

Actual performance against target
Major General Ottilia Moutlane, General Manager: Corporate Services, SAPS,  stated that the strategic objective was to contribute to the neutralising of crime by gathering, collating and analysing intelligence that lead to an actionable policing activity.
In Crime Intelligence operations, the achievement was that there were  9 043 more network operations conducted than the target. This figure was so high because of the 2010 World Cup (sic).

In relation to Intelligence & Information Management, she reported that the figures were 24 384. The number of crime intelligence products related to operational analysis reports included a counting of the profiles, intelligence analysis reports, communication analysis reports, communication interception analysis reports and station and cluster crime threat analysis reports. The planned target for 2012/13 was 256 181. The breakdown for the analysis was given, together with comparisons for the previous year (see attached presentation for full details on profiles, intelligence analysis report, communication analysis, communication interception analysis, station and cluster crime threat analysis). There had been a decline in communication analysis, from 8 299 in 2011/12 down to 4 595 in 201/13 and in intelligence analysis, which was at 90 761, compared to 137 228 in the previous year. However, other targets showed an increase.

The third performance indicator included research reports and statistical reports. In 2011/12 there were 18 Research reports comprised out of descriptive and explanatory reports based on crime statistics and research, in an attempt to explain crime phenomena. In 2012/13, 19 research reports were produced. There ha been 132 statistical reports, against the targets of 120.   

The Chairperson referred to questions from last year which concerned the merging of CI and what impact it had on service delivery. At that time, the Department had responded that the mandate was not clear. The merging of CI took place at a national level. The Department’s prime prerogative was to promote service delivery.

The Committee had also asked questions of the ineffective crime intelligence level of officers at station level, which led to the lack of CI, which in turn led to xenophobic attacks and the occurrence of drug trafficking, gang violence and public protests. The Committee had then commented that the SAPS should give urgent attention to the CI programme as it was not as strong as it should be. The Committee had mentioned weaknesses that were apparent already in 2010. They wanted to know what had been done to remedy the situation. In response, the Department admitted that Programme 4 was not as effective as it was expected to be and that it was aware of the challenges. The Department had stated that the biggest problem was the ineffective use and mismanagement of CI, and lack of capacity at Cluster level and confirmed that CI should have been done by all SAPS police members and not just CI officials. The Committee had suggested that considerable measures with regard to police members’ upgrades in this area be included in the 2013/2014 plan.

The Chairperson had serious concerns with the spending of the budget, especially the R37.7 million spent on maintenance and spending on vehicles, and she requested a written response from the Department in terms of this.

The Chairperson had concerns also regarding the lack of capacity of vetting officers, and the Department was requested to explain the strategy it had to remedy the situation. She also asked whether vetting was only done internally and whether other departments also requested vetting from the Department. The Department did not have the necessary capacity for vetting, but it was said that the appointment of 88 vetting members would be completed in January 2013. Additionally the Department confirmed this was only done internally. The Committee suggested measurable targets be implemented to obtain value for money.

Mr V Ndlovu (IFP) asked whether, from the vetting point of view, the Department had achieved its goals from the last year. He also wanted to know, with regard to different departments and stakeholders, if there were  challenges and, if so, how these were being resolved.

Mr Ndlovu asked about the apparent confusion of the 2010/11 budgets, and said that he did not understand the figures on the posts, and he wanted to know what had been done in relation to the targets. Some had been achieved, but there was slow progress. He asked if the lay with human resources or instability within the section, and asked how this Committee could assist the Department to achieve these goals,

The Chairperson agreed with the confusion indicated by Mr Ndlovu, saying that the year 2011/12 was the year after the Soccer World Cup. She wanted to know what happened to the funding. If the Department was able to achieve something during the World Cup, it could surely do so annually.

Ms D Kohler-Barnard (DA) stated that the confusion must be blamed on CI on grass roots level. SAPS had become a reactive entity instead of a proactive entity and lives were lost as a result of this. She said that the case of Richard Mdluli showed that SAPS was “a catastrophic mess”. She wanted to know how the criminality in CI was being dealt with, and whether there was further criminality in the Department. Secondly, she stated that the morale of the division was at an all-time low. The Department claimed massive over achievement, but the vacancy rate was nearly 17%? In addition, she questioned the achievement statistics, as the Committee had been to different stations where there was no CI present. The Department needed to explain, at provincial levels, where there were no police members available on the field, and similar situations. She asked if the reports presented had been 20 to 30 page analytical documents, or a simple report.

The Chairperson called for fairness from Members, especially in regard to media reports. The Committee had discussed this point before. The Committee could not trust evidence presented in newspapers more than evidence presented in Parliament. She urged that the impression should no be created that the matters had not been discussed before. She asked that the Richard Mdluli not be presented.

Ms M Molebatsi (ANC) questioned the vacancy rate of 16.8%, and asked how the Department would address this.

She asked for how long an Acting Commissioner post would be retained.

Mr M George (COPE) raised concerns over the issues of acting leadership, criminality and capacity. He trusted the National Commissioner, but he felt that the lowering of targets was a threat to SAPS. He referred to statements made on 18 September.

The Chairperson asked how long the Department would envisage the current arrangement to last; whether it was intended to be permanent, or until the Department had stabilised the arrangements. In future, the Department would need to give a definitions page in the report – for instance, what was an analysis report, and what should be created at station level, and whether the CI at station level had been increased.

Gen Phiyega answered, in regard to vetting, that the Department had achieved its goals. There had been an appointment, the Department had started training, and had actually trained 25% of police. Internal vetting was for members of SAPS below Senior Management Staff (SMS) levels. The agreement was made with the Justice, Crime Prevention and Security (JCPS) Cluster that members shall be vetted by the State Security Agency (SSA). Those current functional vetting had been finalised for some, and the SMS vetting should be completed by the following week. This  applied to all SAPS members, even those with current certificates. With regard to the issue of current certificates, 88 members were appointed and two or three were not appointed as they did not qualify.

Ms Moutlane added that indeed 88 SAPS members were appointed, who had completed required training for vetting. These members were put on the field for field work for 2012/13, and there were 6 031 applications. 1 184 were finalised. 348 were evaluated who were already issued with certificates.  She emphasised that the issue of backlogs was being addressed by the Department and it was developing its strategy to address capacity, which was the first phase towards monitoring the situation.

Gen Phiyega answered questions on HR and stability, of leadership in particular. She referred to the court processes and said that the Department could not fill posts of leaders until all legal matters were concluded in the courts. Matters were still in process. There were issues pending, which were major dependencies, and therefore the Department would have Acting arrangements for a while, but would keep the Committee updated. She noted, in terms of court cases, that the time for finalisation depended on courts and the Department could only act in terms of what was available to it. However, she did say that she understood that SAPS performance was larger than any individual and therefore the Department would not be brought to a standstill by one or two incidents.

She referred to a number of matters that were addressed as “catastrophic” which included matters of lack of crime intelligence, misrepresentations, vacancy rate, morale, lack of crime intelligence at the stations, and said that of the matters reported in the media, some were correct and some not. Gen Phiyegar questioned the comment on misrepresentation of matters, saying that she could not deal with these comments unless referred to specifics.

Gen Phiyega said that the Department was trying to ensure optimum performance, and permanent leadership, and assign CI to stations.

Major General Moutlane said the Department was aware of the 60% vacancy rate and was working on normalisation and stabilisation in the organisation. Certain posts were funded, which were in line with the establishment, and the Department took all this into consideration when identifying which posts were crucial and must be advertised. The HR division worked to determine if the vacancy was in line with the funded post and therefore hoped posts would be advertised and filled.

The Chairperson intervened at this point, saying that in the meeting on Tuesday 8 October 2013 it was asserted that vacancies were 100% funded and spent. The Department needed to give the number of funded posts within the environment, and the number of vacancies available within the funded posts. She did not want to know about the numbers where funds were granted, but the actual funded posts, and number of staff members in CI.

Major General Othelia Moutlane tried to confirm the numbers.

The Chairperson disagreed with how they were described. The Department could not say that there were vacancies, but then have the vacancy rates as a wish list. The Department created the impression that CI did not have all its posts filled, but it seemed that they were, because the 100% figure intimated that all the existing  posts in CI were filled.

Mr V Ndlovu wanted clarity and said that the Committee had been given two figures. The Department should give the number of members in place, and the number that ideally the Department wanted to have.

Gen Phiyegar stated that when she had joined SAPS, she had announced an intention to focus on three major issues. If she was, for instance, asked to set up a committee that was going to be in charge of the oversight of the police, then there was a need to be specific on what was needed to design that committee – which spoke to what would be ideal. SAPS could not create the ideal by itself. It could only assign certain functions to personnel. The problem was that, in regard to CI, the parts of SAPS were not talking to each other.

The Chairperson stated that what she was saying was ironic, as the Committee had been saying this for years and needed to sort out HR not talking to the Department’s real needs. The Committee had been continuously irritated by the fact that there was not alignment within management.

Ms Kohler Barnard then needed clarity on the vacancy rate of almost 17%, as stated to the Auditor-General (AG) and asked whether this was a fabrication of a wish-list of posts.

The Chairperson intervened, and asked that the statement that there was fabrication of the information be withdrawn. However, she agreed that the narrative should have been worded better, for instance, by saying that SAPS “ideally needed” x number of members.

Gen Phiyega emphasised that there was no intention from the Department to fabricate anything, and the Auditor–General and the Department was very open.

Ms Kohler Brand refused to retract her statement that she believed there had been fabrication.

Mr V Ndlovu agreed that the term “ideally” should be considered rather than “actually”. If the number was “ideal” and everyone agreed to that, then it could be considered an actuality. The Department should have focused on the reality.

The Chairperson stated that the Department should issue an erratum and concluded that there was an issue with the narrative. She said that the Annual Performance Plan targets were a public document, and clarity was needed on these figures and those in the Annual Report.

Gen Phiyega referred to the issues of lowering the targets, and dealt with the issue on two parts. She noted that performance in one year would create a new baseline for the next. Resources were then given. The highest performance levels should be the benchmark, as the public deserved excellent performance from SAPS.

The Chairperson believed that there was no logical explanation behind lowered the targets. The financial year was 2011/12, from which targets were set, not 2010, and so the findings were questionable. The previous year’s funding should have been the baseline. The World Cup could not longer be used as the explanation for higher activities in that year, as only a few activities could have run over into 2011/12. The Department needed to establish a realistic baseline.

Gen Phiyega spoke to issues around joining and separating the programmes. The Department had consulted with the Department of Labour. Once processes had been dealt with, the Department would be able to deal with the matters finally. She could not give a definite time frame for stabilisation, but said that it should not be a lengthy process. Temporary solutions would be found.

Major General Moutlane stated that certain definitions were given in the Annual Report, on page 144.

The Chairperson said that the Department needed to give better feedback with regard to the management and performance of stations.

The Chairperson commented that of the 7 938 posts filled from the last budget, only 1 019 had valid vetting, and asked for an update on this.

Ms Kohler Barnard asked for clarity on the statement that some provincial heads, included the acting ones, did not have security clearance, and asked which provinces had no provincial heads, and which had no security clearance?

The Chairperson corrected the point that “outdated” meant that an original security clearance was given, but it had expired and needed to be renewed, so it was not quite correct to say that there was “no” security clearance.

Ms M Molebatsi (ANC) asked the if the cluster 3 noted in the CI environment was the same as the Cluster structure as generally understood.

The Chairperson said that in the past there had been concerns about the communications analysis reports and Interception of Communications reports, and asked for the explanation of the drop in the figures, and whether the Department had since tightened up the situation; there was quite strict legislation governing this.

Gen Phiyega commented on the vetting firstly. There were 1 019 vetted, but she would have to check up on the current status.

Major General Moutlane said that the Department was working on monitoring the expired vetting.

The Chairperson asked for specifics and asked if 1 019 vettings was the April figure, and what it was now.

Major General Moutlane answered that 3 491 members were in process of investigation. The number of 1 019 vetted in April had increased by 127 since then, to 1 146 vetted, but she agreed that such a small increase was not acceptable.

The Chairperson commented that everyone in management should start doing their work and start earning their salaries. It was not for the National Commissioner to be responsible for everyone else’s work. If they were not performing, they should be fired.

Major Gen Phiyega commented that the Department used the cluster system for certain areas in the provinces, to ensure better understanding of needs. HR would be assisting.

Major General Moutlane discussed the decline in the intelligence analysis report, from last year’s figures, and said that she had received, from the investigation officer, a request of the analysis report and the outcome to the request was that the investigation officer had made a submission on that report for the financial year.

The Chairperson asked whether what she was saying indicated something good or bad.

Major General Moutlane admitted that this was a negative result.

Ms Kohler Bernard stated that this would mean that fewer requests would be made from SAPS, and therefore SAPS does not trust the Department anymore.

The Chairperson agreed that the Department was posing an administrative burden to SAPS.

Gen Phiyega admitted that in order for the Department to succeed, it needed to work, as a non-negotiable.

Gen Phiyega said that the Acting Head of Intelligence had had an active certificate, which had then expired, and it was this that was now being reviewed.

The Chairperson asked for clarity on which members’ current vetting was being reviewed and had not been finalised yet.

Major General Moutlane answered that out of the nine provinces, four provinces were regarded as “active” on clearance. The rest were in the process of being reviewed. Five were outstanding.

The Chairperson asked that a bi-monthly report on vetting and security clearances that were delayed due to backlog should be submitted to the Committee. She asked if there was any operational consequence if a member did not have a security clearance. 

Gen Phiyega concluded that lack of urgency and progress of management determined that there was not any punishment, and interventions only took place in the event that security clearance was denied. Even though security clearances were a requirement, benefit of the doubt had to be given to the SAPS members.

Programme 5: Protection and Security Services
Lt General Stefan Schutte, Deputy National Commissioner, SAPS, stated that the purpose of Programme 5 was to protection and security services to all identified dignitaries and government interests. The Strategic objective was to minimise security violations by protecting foreign and local prominent people, and securing strategic interests. The Protection and Security Services Programme comprised four sub-programmes:
-VIP Protection Services
-Static and Mobile Security
-Government Security Regulator (GSR)
-Operational Support.

VIP Protection Services had a R694 974 million adjusted estimate, but the actual expenditure was R748 163 million. Static and Mobile Security received a R841 090 million adjusted estimate and expenditure was R784 872 million. The Government Security Regulator received R85 171 and spending was at R89 521. In  Operational Support there was R185 545 million allocated, and the spending was R172 926 million. Overall, there was 99.4% expenditure was made, so the variance was marginal.

He noted that the spending included VIP protection at Mangaung, Centenary Celebrations in various provinces, an increase in vehicle fleet, increases in foreign visits, an increased personnel for Presidential Protection, due to threats. There were also K9 Unit and vehicle purchases for GSR, intended for Static and Mobile Security at installations. The Presidential Protection support function moved from Operational Support to Presidential Protection, and moved to sub programme VIP as a technical adjustment.

Major General Moutlane discussed the strategic objectives to minimise security violations by protecting foreign and local prominent people and securing strategic interests.

It was explained that for the subprogramme of VIP Protection, the performance indicators stipulated that the percentage of security provided was in relation to security breaches. The actual achievement of 2011/2012 was 99,99% protection, because there had been 144 584 movements with one security breach. The planned target for 2012/2013 expected that there should be 100% protection provided without any security breaches. That was achieved, as over 99 802 movements, there were no security breaches.

In the sub-programme for Static and Mobile Security, the performance indicator was the percentage of security provided in relation to security breaches For the previous year, there was 99% protection, with  95 344 protection operations with three security breaches. For 2012/13 the target was to have 100% and no security breaches. The actual achievement was at 99.99%. There had been 98 728 protection operations, and six security breaches.

In the sub-programme for the GSR, the performance indicator was the percentage of National Key Points (NKPs) and Strategic Installations audited and evaluated. The actual achievement for 2011/2012 was 61%, because 138 out of 227 identified Strategic Installations were audited. In this year, the Deparment had a target for 50% of strategic installations audited, being 124 out of 248 installations. It had managed to audit 127, and achieved 51.2% of total audits. There were 175 out of 182 NKPs evaluated, which was 96.2%, thus falling short of the target of 100% evluation.

The Chairperson noted that in the last year, the Committee had referred to problems around the “blue lights” convoys, the training of VIP protectors and quality of training received by VIP protectors, and concerns about increased litigation payouts. The Committee had suggested the Department sub-regulator and said the code of conduct sometimes led to disrespect by convoy members at security points. There was an increase in complaints against VIP protectors from members of the public, with regard to their driving.

Ms Kohler Barnard said that the problems of a couple of years previously, when the VIP Protection Unit had some attacks on civilians, had simmered down, until recently the problem had re-surfaced and she therefore wanted to know what was being done about that.  She asked how many attacks there had been. She also noted that there were six security breaches and wanted to know what level of danger they represented.

Ms M Molebatsi asked what was happening with the K9 unit, and said that some units were situated very far from certain areas, and whether there was any chance on that.

Mr V Ndlovu asked where the particular challenges lay, and whether they lay with the rotation of chiefs, r were assessed as deliberate, or happening when shifts changed. He asked if the security breaches were “piggy-backing”  on certain external circumstances.

Ms P Mocumi (ANC) asked which of the 4 NKP were not evaluated “due to the external factors”, wanted to know what these external factors were. She said that the challenges should have been specifically outlined and wanted also to hear what the Department was doing to mitigate them.

The Chairperson referred to the six key points on slide 147 of the presentation and asked why they were not covered in detail. She asked if the Department evaluated security breaches, to help with its future planning, and why this was not done here. She also said that previously, the Committee had asked what percentage of VIP protection staff had been subject to any disciplinary process, and whether the department had done any analysis – for instance, how many cases were started, what sanctions were given. Lastly she asked about payment of overtime.

Gen Phiyega said that she would sent through answers in writing about the litigation and the disciplinary hearings.

Major General Moutlane said, in regard to complaints by the public, that the Department developed a data base for submission of any complaints from the Presidency or National Inspectors’ side and took cognisance of that. In order to determine a dual protection mechanism, the Department had to undertake certain behaviour disciplinary hearings, which had been done.

Brigadier Samson Shitlabane, Acting Head of Department, SAPS, confirmed that the Department did not have to hand the statistics for 2012/2013, which reflected which incidents had been reported, but the Department did have a process whereby, when an incident occurred in another province, it would be reported to the station at the incident management centre which controlled all the operations.

Ms Kohler Bernard asked how this information might be classified.

Brigadier Shitlabane said the Department would not have statistics, as it would have to list all incidents that occurred, and thereafter any security breaches could be established, in a two-stage process. The Department had to look first at NKPs and thereafter the security breaches, also within the environment of the VIP protection unit in order to determine classification.

The Chairperson asked the Department to talk about security breaches.

Brigadier Shitlabane said the six security breaches were in relation to Western Cape Parliament, whilst the second one was a housebreaking and theft at the Deputy Minister of Sport. The third and fourth related to housebreaking and theft in Gauteng. There was also a housebreaking in the Pretoria Waterkloof area. The last incident was in the Northern Cape.

The Chairperson commented on slide 157, and suggested that the Department talk to the Deputy Minister of Sport to ask which departmental steps would be taken.

Lt General Khehla Sithole answered questions on the K9 unit. A dog and handler would be deployed, depending on the type of dog needed in the statistical area and use that the dog would service in that particular area. Here again, the problems were related to lack of communication with HR.

The Chairperson mentioned that the concept of “rapid response” and “SAPS” did not sit well together. She asked why the K9 unit was not being used in sexual violence and rape cases to track rapists, especially when they were called out to the scene.

Brigadier Shitlabane stated that the best way to get an immediate response was to look more strategically at K9 units. There was a need to look at more at accessing K9 unit dogs in Khayelitsha. However, he was not talking of drug-detection dogs, and stated that the Department would take into consideration the suggestion of using dogs in other cases, especially given the challenges toward rape cases.

Gen Phiyega said that security breaches tended mostly to occur at change of shifts. She said that there was a need to look at the three key factors, the external factors to evaluating key points, the challenge to key points, and why others were not evaluated.

Major General Moutlane said that page 155 in the Annual Report looked at instances of non-compliance. There was a need to assess whether there was fault in the area of command and control, and whether SAPS commanders in their offices were doing the right assessments. There would be more work done on review and analysis of security breaches, working on more integrated approaches.

Gen Phiyegar said that career pathing was a work in progress and the Department was rotating staff, but it was not really possible to look elsewhere at this stage.

The Chairperson said that the Department was not looking at the wellness of staff, but expected working VIP protectors to build relationships. The Department needed to treat its staff with the necessary respect and would then see results. She asked what was the relationship between VIPs and their protectors.

General Schutte said that in many instances there was a relationship of trust created between the close security protector and office bearer.

Gen Schutte answered the question on overtime by saying that 100 hours per month were requested and two choices were given – either to re-work the hours or to work on a corresponding time-off scenario. There should not be payment issues.

The Chairperson suggested the Department needed to speak to the VIPs themselves and get their understanding around rotation of the protection services. She asked how the security clearances stood for this category.

Brigadier Shitlabane said that the VIP environment stood at 971 members, and that the Presidential department stood at 331 members. The Static and VIP environment were, counted together with the Presidential, at 570 and the national staffing was 2494.

The Chairperson asked what their security status was and which of the 971 had current security vetting.

Major General Moutlane stated that the figures the Department  gave were the only ones it had, and that there were 42 clearances issued, 176 investigations and 134 in the process.

The Chairperson confirmed that the figure of 134 not yet registered was alarming, as this was one third of what the Department should have attended to. It could be seen as a huge security risk. She asked how many of the 331 Presidential department members had security clearance.

Brigadier Cynthia Philison, SAPS, stated that the Department had started from scratch and did not have a number available.

The Chairperson concluded that the Committee wanted a breakdown of litigation costs of SAPS for VIP unit, the disciplinary report on VIP unit, mobile and static units, and a report on security clearances. This must be submitted by the Department by Wednesday 16 October 2013.

The meeting was adjourned.


  • We don't have attendance info for this committee meeting

Download as PDF

You can download this page as a PDF using your browser's print functionality. Click on the "Print" button below and select the "PDF" option under destinations/printers.

See detailed instructions for your browser here.

Share this page: