2020 Draft Tax Bills & Rates BillCall for comments opened 24 September 2020 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 06 October 2020)
The Standing Committee on Finance invites stakeholders and interested parties to submit written submissions on the 2020 Draft Tax Administration Laws Amendment Bill (TALAB), 2020 Draft Taxation Laws Amendment Bill (TLAB) and the 2020 Draft Rates and Monetary Amounts and Amendment of Revenue Laws Bill (Rates Bill).
Public hearings will be conducted at Parliament on Wednesday, 7 October 2020 via the Zoom platform.
Those who want to make submissions at the public hearings should indicate so.
Key Tax Proposals Contained in the 2020 Draft TLAB include the following:
- Proposed introduction of export taxes on scrap metals
- Tax measures required as a result of the modernisation of the foreign exchange control system
- Aligning the carbon fuel levy adjustment with the Carbon Tax Act
- Allowing a carbon tax “pass through” for the regulated liquid fuels sector; and
- Addressing an anomaly in the tax exemption of employer provided bursaries.
Key Tax Proposals Contained in The 2020 Draft TALAB include the following:
- Amendments enabling the proposed introduction of an export tax on scrap metals
- Removal of the requirement to prove intent with regard to certain offences listed in the Fourth Schedule to the Income Tax Act, the Value-Added Tax Act and the Tax Administration Act
- Refusal to authorise a refund where returns are outstanding under the Skills Development Levies Act and the Unemployment Insurance Contributions Act
- Withholding of a refund pending a criminal investigation; and
- Estimated assessments where relevant material requested by SARS has not been supplied.
Key Tax Proposals Contained in the 2020 Draft Rates Bill include the following:
- Changes in rates and monetary thresholds to the personal income tax tables
- Adjustment of transfer duty rates to support the property market; and
- Increases of the excise duties on alcohol and tobacco.