Refugees Amendment Bill [B12B - 2016]Call for comments opened 29 May 2017 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 16 June 2017)
The Select Committee on Social Services invites you to submit written comments on the latest version of the Refugees Amendment Bill which includes the Portfolio Committee Amendments changes.
The tabled Amendment Bill seeks to :
▪ amend the Refugees Act, 1998, so as to amend and insert certain definitions;
▪ include further provisions relating to disqualification from refugee status;
▪ provide for integrity measures to combat fraud and corruption among staff members at Refugee Reception Offices, the Standing Committee and the Refugee Appeals Authority;
▪ omit provisions referring to the Status Determination Committee;
▪ substitute certain provisions relating to the Refugee Appeals Authority;
▪ provide for the re-establishment of the Standing Committee for Refugee Affairs and to confer additional powers on the Standing Committee;
▪ confer additional powers on the Director-General;
▪ clarify the procedure relating to conditions attached to asylum seeker visas and abandonment of applications;
▪ revise provisions relating to the review of asylum applications;
▪ provide for the withdrawal of refugee status in respect of categories of refugees;
▪ provide for additional offences and penalties
Comments can be emailed to Ms Marcelle Williams at email@example.com by no later than 12:00 on Friday, 16 June 2017.
Enquiries can be directed to Ms Marcelle Williams on tel (021) 403 3799 or cell 083 709 8451
Issued by MP Dlamini, Ms LC, Chairperson: Select Committee on Social Services.