Nomination for: SAHRC CommissionerCall for comments opened 10 July 2015 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 28 July 2015)
The Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services invites nominations from individuals, organisations, institutions and civil society for a suitable person to be appointed as a Commissioner to the SAHRC.
The nominee must:
▪ be a South African citizen and fit and proper person to hold office of the Commission, as contemplated in section 193(1) of the Constitution;
▪ have a record of commitment to the promotion of respect for human rights and a culture of human rights;
▪ be a person with applicable knowledge or experience with regard to matters connected with the objects of the Commission; and
▪ comply with any other requirements prescribed by national legislation, in particular the South African Human Rights Commission Act, 2013.
In accordance with the provisions of the South Africa Human Rights Commission Act and the Constitution, the National Assembly may recommend a person for appointment for such fixed term as the National Assembly may determine at the time of the appointment but not exceeding seven years.
The person recommended for appointment as a Commissioner must:
▪ promote respect for and a culture of human rights;
promote the protection, development and attainment of human rights;
▪ monitor and assess the observance of human rights;
▪ act impartially and independently, without fear, favour or prejudice, in the conduct of their duties;
▪ actively promote public awareness and education on human rights and assist members of the public in accessing their rights;
▪ be involved in the investigation of alleged human rights abuses or violations and recommend measures for redress; and
▪ contribute to the research and reporting functions of the Commission.
Nominations must contain the full name, address/email address and contact details of the person or organisation making the nomination; a signed acceptance of the nomination by the nominee; and a Curriculum Vitae (CV) providing the nominee’s:
▪ Full name, ID number and gender;
▪ Contact details including physical address, telephone / cell number and email address;
▪ Relevant previous experience (including relevant dates and organisations concerned); and
▪ Academic qualifications
Nominations must be addressed to the Committee Secretary, Mr Vhonani Ramaano at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Tuesday, 28 July 2015 at 17h00.
Enquiries please contact Mr Vhonani Ramaano on tel (021) 403-3820 or cell: 083 709 8427.
Issued by Dr M Motshekga MP, Chairperson: Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services