National Sport and Recreation Draft Amendment Bill, 2016; South African Institute for Drug Free Sport Amendment Bill, 2017; South African Combat Sport Bill, 2017; Fitness Industry Regulatory Bill, 2017Call for comments opened 24 April 2015 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 30 July 2015)
The Department of Sport and Recreation invites you to submit written comments on the following draft Bills;
National Sport and Recreation Draft Amendment Bill, 2016
The seeks to amend the National Sport and Recreation Act, 1998 so as to:
▪ amend, insert and delete certain definitions;
▪ provide for policy framework with regard to the promotion and development of sport and recreation;
▪ provide for the establishment of commissions;
▪ allow for the development of sport and the intervention of Sport and Recreation South Africa in sport matters at school level;
▪ develop policy framework for talent identification and development programme;
▪ establish a Sport Arbitration Tribunal to resolve disputes in sport or recreation bodies;
▪ provide for offences and penalties.
South African Institute for Drug Free Sport Amendment Bill, 2017
The Bill seeks amend the South African - Institute For Drug - Free Sport Act 14 of 1997, so as to:
▪ insert new definitions;
▪ provide for an inquiry with regard to the removal of a member of Institute from office and for the resignation of a member;
▪ make provisions for a resolution of the National Assembly calling for the removal of a member of Institute or for the dissolution of the Institute;
▪ provide for the appointment of interim members of the Institute;
▪ provide for the consent in random testing of learners in schools that participate in sport.
South African Combat Sport Bill, 2017
The Bill seeks to provide for the administration, governance and regulation of combat sport in the Republic;
▪ establish a Combat Sport Regulatory Authority to oversee combat sport;
▪ make provision for the establishment and constitution of a Council and the appointment of its councilors to implement the oversight function of the Authority;
▪ provide for the establishment of Committees to assist the Council;
▪ make provision for appeals against decisions in combat sport;
▪ provide for the appointment of inspectors and their powers to monitor combat sport and investigate complaints.
Fitness Industry Regulatory Bill, 2017
The Bill seeks to provide for the establishment of Fitness Industry Regulatory Authority, the establishment of a Council and the appointment of councilors;
▪ provide for the registration of fitness controlling bodies, fitness professionals and the accreditation of fitness establishments in the Republic;
▪ provide for disciplinary action against fitness professionals, owners or managers;
▪ provide for the maintenance and upkeep of a register of registered fitness controlling bodies, fitness professionals and accredited fitness establishments;
▪ provide for the constitutions and powers of fitness controlling bodies; to provide for the offences.