Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech BillCall for comments opened 26 August 2021 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 01 October 2021)
The Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services invites stakeholders and interested persons to submit written submissions on the Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill [B9 – 2018]:
The purpose of Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill is to:
- Give effect to the Republic’s obligations in terms of the Constitution and international human rights instruments concerning racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance, in accordance with international law obligations;
- Provide for the offence of hate crime and the offence of hate speech and the prosecution of persons who commit those offences;
- Provide for appropriate sentences that may be imposed on persons who commit hate crime and hate speech offences;
- Provide for the prevention of hate crimes and hate speech;
- Provide for the reporting on the implementation, application and administration of this Act;
- Effect consequential amendments to certain Acts of Parliament; and
- Provide for matters connected therewith.
Submissions must be received by no later than 1 October 2021. Please indicate your interest in making a verbal presentation.
Submissions and enquiries must be directed to Mr V Ramaano: Hatecrimes@parliament.gov.za and 083 709 8427
Issued by Hon. Mr BG Magwanishe, MP, Chairperson: PC on Justice and Correctional Services