Appointment of an Inspector General of IntelligenceCall for comments opened 02 September 2021 Share this page:
Submissions must be received by no later than 30 September 2021
The Chairperson of the Joint Standing Committee on Intelligence (JSCI), Mr JJ Maake, MP, on behalf of the JSCI hereby invites applications for the position of the Inspector-General of Intelligence as required by Section 210(b) of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 read with Section 7 (1) of the Intelligence Services Oversight Act 40 of 1994.
The Committee had originally put out an advert calling for applications on 14 July 2021. The deadline to submit applications was 30 July 2021. On 2 Sepotember 2021, the Committee announced an extension of the closing date to submit applications. The new deadline is 30 September 2021: See Committee Media Statement
Section 7 of the Intelligence Services Oversight Act 40 of 1994 provides that:
• The Inspector-General will monitor Intelligence and Counter-Intelligence activities of the State Security Agency and the Intelligence Divisions of South African Police Service and the South African National Defence Force.
• The Inspector-General shall be accountable to the JSCI and responsible to the President and relevant ministers.
• The candidate shall be a South African citizen who is fit and proper to hold such office and who has knowledge of intelligence.
• The candidate shall be required to undergo all the processes required to obtain a top security clearance and shall serve impartially and independently and perform his or her functions in good faith and without fear, favour, bias or prejudice.
• The remuneration and conditions of service of the Inspector-General are determined by the President with the concurrence of the JSCI.
Please note Interested candidates are requested to submit a detailed motivation and curriculum vitae to the Parliament of South Africa, accompanied by certified copies of their identity document and qualifications, for the attention of Ms Alutho Sombexe
Those who previously applied prior to the due date and time should not reapply, as their applications will be considered.
Applications should be emailed to Ms Alutho Sombexe at email@example.com by no later than 30 September 2021.
Enquiries can be directed to Ms Alutho Sombexe on 083 709 8432
Please note that applicants will be subjected to qualifications check and top secret security clearance.
Late submissions will not be considered.
Correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. Applicants who receive no response within 2 (two) months of closing date are requested to deem their application as unsuccessful.