Upstream Petroleum Resources Development BillCall for comments opened 23 November 2023 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 30 January 2024)
The Select Committee on Land Reform, Environment, Mineral Resources and Energy invites you to submit written comments on the Upstream Petroleum Resources Development Bill [B13B-2021] S76.
The Bill seeks to:
• provide for orderly development of petroleum resources;
• provide for equitable access to, and sustainable development of, the nation’s petroleum resources;
• provide for active State and black persons’ participation in the development of the nation’s petroleum resources;
• provide for a petroleum right that integrates the right to explore and to produce;
• provide for the facilitation of acquisition of petroleum geo-technical data;
• provide for a controlled application system through licensing rounds;
create an enabling environment for the acceleration of exploration and production of the nation’s petroleum resources;
• provide for third party access to upstream petroleum infrastructure;
• provide for a petroleum right holder to sell a percentage of petroleum to the State for strategic stock requirements;
• designate a state-owned company as an entity responsible for managing the State’s carried interest in petroleum rights;
• provide for the advancement of national developmental imperatives by the state-owned company through the development of petroleum resources;
• provide for the holder of a petroleum right to retain its empowerment status after the exit of black persons under circumscribed circumstances;
• provide for local content as a development strategy to enable skills development, local recruitment and national participation through supply of goods and services;
• designate the Petroleum Agency of South Africa as the regulatory authority for the upstream petroleum sector; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
Comments can be emailed to Mr Asgar A Bawa [email protected] by no later than Tuesday, 30 January 2024.
Enquiries can be directed to Mr Asgar A Bawa on cell 083 709 8530
Issued by Ms TC Modise, MP, Chairperson of the Select Committee on Land Reform, Environment, Mineral Resources and Energy
Track the bill here
How to write a submission