Nominations & Applications: Appointment of six (6) Commissioners to the SAHRCCall for comments opened 20 June 2023 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 14 July 2023)
The Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services invites nominations from individuals, organisations, institutions and civil society for six suitable persons to be recommended for appointment as four full-time or two part-time Commissioners to the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC).
Committee Chairperson, Mr Bulelani Magwanishe, said applications will also be accepted. A list of applications/nominations received will be published on the parliamentary website to allow members of the public to comment on the suitability of candidates.
The objects of the SAHRC are to promote respect for human rights and a culture of human rights, to promote the protection, development, and attainment of human rights and to monitor and assess the observance of human rights in the Republic. The seat of the Commission is in Gauteng Province.
The nominee/applicant must:
• be a South African citizen and fit and proper person to hold office of the Commission, as contemplated in section 193(1) of the Constitution;
• have a record of commitment to the promotion of respect for human rights and a culture of human rights;
• be a person with applicable knowledge or experience with regards to matters connected with the objects of the Commission; and
• Comply with any other requirements prescribed by national legislation, in particular section 5 (b) the South African Human Rights Commission Act, 2013.
Applications and nominations should be accompanied by the full name, address/email address and contact details of the person or organisation making the nomination and the signed acceptance of the nomination by the nominee.
For both nominations and applications, the accompanying Curriculum Vitae (CV) should provide the nominee or applicants:
• Full name, ID number and gender;
• Contact details including physical address, telephone / cell number and email address;
• Relevant previous experience (including relevant dates and organisations concerned); and
• Academic qualifications.
Mr Magwanishe said all candidates will be subjected to suitability screening and verification of qualifications.
Nominations and Applications can be emailed to Mr Vhonani Ramaano at [email protected] by no later than 14 July 2023 at 17h00
Enquiries can be directed to Mr Vhonani Ramaano on cell 083 709 8427
Issued by the Parliamentary Communication Services on behalf of the Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services, Mr Bulelani Magwanishe.
For media enquiries or interviews with the Chairperson, please contact the committee’s Media Officer:
Name: Rajaa Azzakani (Ms)
Tel: 021 403 8437
Cell: 081 703 9542
E-mail: [email protected]