26 June 2018 - NW1440
Bara, Mr M R to ask the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs
(1)Whether any forensic investigations have been completed in the Thaba Chweu Local Municipality in Mpumalanga in the (a) 2015-16, (b) 2016-17 and/or (c) 2017-18 financial years; if not, are there any investigations that are still underway; if so, in each case, (i) what (aa) was the nature and (bb) were the findings of each investigation, (ii) on what date was the report tabled in Council and (iii) what action has been taken regarding the findings and recommendations of each report; (2) are any forensic investigations still under way at the specified municipality; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what are the relevant details; (3) Whether he will request that the forensic reports be tabled with his department for further investigation and/or disciplinary action to be taken; if not, in each case, why not; if so, what are the relevant details in each case?
The response below was provided by the municipality.
1. One forensic investigation was completed in 2017-18 financial year. The Municipal Council approved the appointment of an independent audit firm to conduct the forensic investigation as per Municipal Public Accounts Committee (MPAC) recommendation in line with the recommendations by the Auditor General of South Africa (AGSA).
(i) (aa)The forensic investigation was instituted to investigate allegations of gross negligent, misconduct and fraud.
(bb)The findings of the forensic investigation highlighted correction measures in the following areas:
- Disposal of Land
- Allocation of curo stalls in Graskop
- Revenue collection
- Supply chain management practices
- Legal services fees
- Back payments to section managers
- Housing and human settlements
- Human resources practices
- Municipal infrastructure grants projects
- Unauthorised, irregular, Fruitless and Wasteful Expenditure
- Completeness and reliability of the Asset Register
(ii)The forensic investigation report was tabled before Council on 28 February 2018.
(iii) The Council approved that the Accounting officer must execute the implementation plan based on the recommendations for each finding.
2. There is no forensic investigation currently underway at the municipality.
3. I will request the municipality to submit a copy of the forensic report and the progress report on the implementation of the recommendations emanating from the forensic report to the Department for assessment. Based on the outcome of the assessment, I will then take the necessary action to ensure that the matter is finalised.