22 May 2017 - NW870
Dreyer, Ms AM to ask the President of the Republic
(1)(a) How many times has the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Comprehensive Social Security (IMC) met since its establishment in 2016, (b)(i) where and (ii) on what date was each meeting held and (c) what was on the agenda of each meeting; (2) which (a) Ministers serve on the IMC and (b) Minister is responsible for calling the meetings of the IMC?
1. I established the IMC on Comprehensive Social Security in 2015 consisting of five Ministers (the first five Ministers listed under 2a below). Early this year, I took a decision to reconstitute this IMC to include other Ministers (as listed below).
(b) (i) & (ii) 9 September 2015 in Cape Town and 12 May 2017 in Pretoria.
(c) The main agenda of the IMC is to address existing policy gaps by developing a responsive social protection system for South Africa as envisaged in Chapter 11 of the National Development Plan (Vision 2030). The IMC’s agenda also entails taking forward the Social Security Reform Discussion Paper.
2. (a) The following nine Ministers are Members of the IMC:
- Minister of Social Development
- Minister of Finance
- Minister of Labour
- Minister of Health
- Minister of Transport
- Minister of Home Affairs
- Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services
- Minister of Communications
- Minister of State Security
(b) The IMC was previously co-chaired by the Ministers of Finance and Social Development. However since its reconstitution, I am the Chairperson of the IMC.