09 December 2016 - NW2133
Lees, Mr RA to ask the Minister of Rural Development and Land Reform
With reference to Project DC23/KZ232/321, who is currently residing in the houses on the farms commonly referred to as the Charnaud Farms in the Emnambithi-Ladysmith Local Municipality in KwaZulu-Natal; (2) have any members of the (a) Sewpersad, (b) Armmarchand, (c) Roshen and/or (d) Nersha families benefitted in any way from the specified project; if so, what are the relevant details in each case with regard to benefits in (i) kind and/or (ii) cash; (3) what (a) has been the total cost of the specified project to his department and (b) is the detailed breakdown of the specified cost?
(1) Currently there are two families of Labor Tenants that are using the farm houses namely, Mtshali and Mabaso)
(2)(a),(b),(c) Since the farm was returned to the state no members of the Sewpersad, Armmarchand, Roshen and/or Nersha families have benefited in any way.Prior to the farm being forfeited to the state, it was occupied by the Sewpersad, Armmarchand, Roshen and Nersha families. They benefited to the extent of occupation only. The Department is not aware of any financial benefits from operating the farm and does not have access to their financial statements.
(i), (ii) Falls away.
(3) (a) Total cost to the Department was R36 999 732.82
(b) - Purchase price for Land – R27 244 556.00
- Total Livestock costs- R 6 136 400.00
- Agricultural implements- R 574 500.00
- Developmental costs- R 2 500 000.00
- Conveyancing costs - R 100 451.00
- AFU costs- R 443 825.82