16 September 2022 - NW2591
Van Dyk, Ms V to ask the Minister of Public Enterprises
1. Whether a certain person (name and details furnished) promised any illegal miners valid permits that would allow them to legally dig for diamonds on land owned by Alexkor; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what are relevant details; 2. what agreement did Alexkor and illegal diamond miners agree upon in 2020 which allegedly allowed a group of illegal miners to dig for two hours daily for a period of four months on land owned by Alexkor; 3. whether he will furnish Mrs V van Dyk with the agreement between the illegal miners and Alexkor; if not, why not; if so, on what date; 4. (a) what percentage of the diamonds did Alexkor receive, (b) what are the reasons that the alleged agreement of four months was suspended in November 2020 which was one month before the end of the agreement and (c) did any altercations between illegal miners and security at or acting for Alexkor cause injuries and/or deaths of any miners; 5. whether the specified person has been transferred to the African Exploration Mining and Finance Corporation; if not, how is he involved in the specified company; if so, (a) what are the reasons, (b) on what terms and (c) will Alexkor be transferred to the state-owned
According to the information received from Alexkor
- There is no record of any illegal miners being provided with any permits during the tenure of a certain person (name and details furnished) of Alexkor and the PSJV;
- There is no record of any agreements entered into by the Alexkor RMC PSJV with any illegal miners and illegal mining is not permitted.
- There is no record of any agreement with illegal miners as alluded to the above;
- There is no record of any agreement with illegal miners as alluded to the above; and
- The person in question (name and details furnished) resigned from Alexkor and was not transferred to African Exploration Mining and Finance Corporation. The terms and conditions of his employment at African Exploration Mining and Finance Corporation are not known by the Minister and Alexkor remains a state-owned entity falling under the Department of Public Enterprises. Further details of the current status of thee individual can be obtained from the MINISTRY OF MINERAL RESOURCES AND ENERGY.