Question NW1606 to the Minister of Water and Sanitation

Share this page:

14 June 2022 - NW1606

Profile picture: Weber, Ms AMM

Weber, Ms AMM to ask the Minister of Water and Sanitation

(1)Whether there is a national information system in each province for all water use licenses (WULs) for mines, industries and farming; if not, why not; if so, (a) how can the general public access the information, as it is public information and (b) will he furnish Ms A M M Weber with the link to the information system; (2) whether, in view of the fact that every water use license holder must submit an externally audited report of compliance every year, he will furnish Ms A M M Weber with the audited reports for water use licenses issued in the past three years; if not, why not; if so, on what date; (3) on what date will he furnish Ms A M M Weber with the (a) water use licence and (b) audit report for Kromdraai Mine in Mpumalanga?


(1) Yes, the Department uses the Water Authorisation Registration Management System (WARMS) wherein all authorised water uses including water use licenses are captured. In addition, there is a data base that comprise all copies of authorisations. Both data bases are internal to the Department.

(1)(a) The water use licences are accessible by request to the Deputy Chief Information Officer, Mr. Mpho Ratshisusu, Chief Director Legal Offices at the e-mail address, Private Bag X 313 Pretoria 0001. Tel: 012 336 7705.

(1)(b) A link to access all licences by members of public is yet to be created due to security issues associated with licensing. However, the Department can avail all licences that are requested through the office of the Deputy Chief Information Officer (contact details above) within a reasonable time.

(2) The view that all water users issued with water use licences must submit an externally audited report of compliance every year is not necessarily correct, there are licences issued where this condition may not be imposed due to minimal risks associated with the water use activities. The department can provide the Honourable Member with external audit reports where such have been received by the department from water users in question. These reports are often submitted to the Department in hardcopy. The department can provide a list of the Audited reports to the Honourable Member so that the specific reports required can be identified. This list will be provided by 31 May 2022.

(3)(a) The department needs so be furnished with property details of the water use licence required and the correct name of the Licensee (company name) to be able to provide the accurate information to the Member.

(3)(b) The response in point 3 (a) applies to this question.


Source file