09 July 2021 - NW1715
Selfe, Mr J to ask the Minister of Public Works and Infrastructure
(1)Whether her department owns a property situated at 15 Tennant Road, Kenilworth, Cape Town; if so, (a) on what date did her department acquire the property, (b) what does the property consist of and (c) what is it currently used for; (2) whether the specified property has been maintained; if not, why not; if so, what maintenance has been done on the property since its acquisition; (3) whether the property is guarded and/or secured; if not, why not; if so, in what way is it guarded and/or secured; (4) whether her department intends to dispose of the property; if not, (a) why not and (b) what are the department’s future plans for the property; if so, on what date?
The Minister of Public Works and Infrastructure:
1. I have been informed by the Department that the property is registered in the name of the Republic of South Africa. The National Department of Public Works and Infrastructure (DPWI) is the custodian.
2. The property was acquired in 1987 by the Republic of Ciskei and was occupied by Government Officials. With the abolition of the TBVC states (Transkei, Bophuthatswana, Venda, and Ciskei) and the establishment of provinces of the democratic South Africa, the property was transferred to the Republic of South Africa in 1998.
3. The property consists of a double storey dwelling with 3 bedrooms, two-car car port, a swimming pool and a garden.
(c) The property is currently reserved to be used for residential purposes by the Department of Defence.
(2) The house was handed over to the Department of Defence in January 2019. The Department of Defence has indicated that they will be renovating the property.
(3) The property is guarded by officials from the Department of Defence.
(4) The Department does not intend to dispose of the property.
(a) The property will remain State-owned to cater for the needs of the Government Departments.
(b) The property has already been allocated to the Department of Defence to be utilized for Government purposes.