25 May 2021 - NW1134
Terblanche, Mr OS to ask the Minister of Police
What action was taken against (a) the security guards who allegedly assaulted and manhandled persons at the White River Police Station, on 28 March 2021 (details furnished), (b) their employer and (c) the police officials on duty who failed to protect the complainants who fled to the police station for safety?
- The persons that were allegedly invol\led in the assault are not security officers but self-employed businessmen. The following cases were opened and are being investigated:
- White River, CAS 214/03/2021, common assault, pointing of a firearm and malicious damage to property. This case was opened by Mr Byliefeldt against Mr Maroga, Mr Nkadimeng and others.
- White River, CAS 196/03/2021, malicious damage to property and crimen injuria. This case was opened by Mr Maroga against Mr Byliefeldt.
- White River, CAS 74/04/2021, crimen injuria. This case was opened by Mr Masuku against Mr Byliefeldt.
- The businessmen, referred to above, are also the complainants in criminal cases, involving the alleged victim of the assault, at White River. Multiple cases are, therefore, being investigated, all of which are still pending.
- The misconduct investigation against the members in question, in terms of the SAPS Disciplinary Regulations, 2016, was instituted and finalised. It has been referred to the Office of the Provincial Commissioner, for the implementation of further departmental steps and possible sanctions.
Reply to question 1134 recommended
GENERAL NATIONAL COMMISSIONER: SOUTH AFRICAN POLICE SERVICE
KJ SITOLE (SOEG)
Reply to question 1134 approved
MINISTER OF POLICE
GENERAL BH CELE, MP