24 March 2021 - NW798
Breedt, Ms T to ask the Minister of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development
Whether, with reference to her reply to question 2176 on 21 December 2020, she will (a) indicate on what date her department intends to promulgate the draft of the Animal Welfare Bill for public participation, (b) furnish Ms T Breedt with a copy of the socio-economic impact assessment that was submitted to the Department of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation and (c) further provide a list of the members of the working group responsible for drafting the specified Bill; if not, why not, in each case; if so, what are the relevant details in each case?
a) The date for the gazetting of the draft Animal Welfare Bill has not been set yet. However, as responded to Honourable Winkler to the same question under parliamentary question 2995 in 2020; due to a number of technical capacity constraints, complicated by the issues related to the Covid-19 pandemic situation, the envisaged introduction of the Bill to Parliament in the 2021/2022 financial year was postponed by a year. Consultation with stakeholders on the Bill will be undertaken during the 2021/2022 financial year.
b) The Socio-Economic Impact Assessment that was submitted to the Department of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation is hereby attached.
c) The Bill is drafted by the Animal Welfare Working Group, which consist of the following officials:
- Dr Mphane Molefe – DALRRD
- Ms Morongwa Senyatsi – DALRRD
- Dr Emmanuel Midzi – North West Department of Agriculture and Rural Development.
- Dr Lea Shuda – Northern Cape Department of Agriculture and Land Reform
- Dr Christine Meintjes – KwaZulu Natal Department of Agriculture and Rural Development.
- Dr Themba Malatse – Limpopo Department of Agriculture
- Dr Faculty Baloyi – Gauteng Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
- Dr Lungile Jali – Eastern Cape Department of Rural Development and Agrarian Reform
- Dr Thelma Mokgophi – Mpumalanga Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Land and Environmental Affairs
- Dr Jurgens Barnard – Free State Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
- Dr Michael Swart – Western Cape Department of Agriculture.
It should be noted that the last two names on the list above have only recently joined the working group in 2020 and have not yet participated in the drafting of the Bill.