05 March 2021 - NW145
Van Dyk, Ms V to ask the Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture”
1. What is the total number of meetings of the Portfolio Committee on Sports, Arts and Culture which took place since 1 January 2020 and total number of the specified meetings did he attend; 2. what were the three main reasons why he did not attend the specified committee meetings; 3. whether he received any communication from the Chairperson of the committee regarding action to be taken to address the issue of his non-attendance; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what action has the Chairperson of the committee proposed?
(1) (a) The Portfolio Committee on Sport, Arts and Culture, has got all the records of meetings that were held in 2020, (b) as well as the apologies that I tendered in my absence and there is no stage that I could not attend the meeting without a reason. The Member should appreciate the fact that I had always shown high regard for the Portfolio Committee whenever I am requested to appear before it. In most instances, where it was absolutely impossible for me to attend the committee meeting, I would request the Deputy Minister to lead the Department.
(2) Some of the reason are as follow;
- If I am presenting in the Cabinet Committee/Cabinet meeting
- Meetings on Coronavirus Command Council etc.
(3) I constantly communicate with the Chairperson on several issues regarding the Portfolio and all the apologies are directly forwarded to the Chairperson.