Question NW2828 to the Minister of Health

Share this page:

15 December 2020 - NW2828

Profile picture: Chabangu, Mr M

Chabangu, Mr M to ask the Minister of Health

What is his department doing to ensure that children living with a disability who live far from hospital facilities receive treatment?


Most health and rehabilitation services for children with disabilities are provided at fixed health facilities including Primary Health Care facilities (clinics and community health centres) and hospitals. Children with disabilities are assessed and, based on the outcome of the assessment, provided with appropriate therapy and assistive devices where required.

Where children need to be referred to receive specialised services at a higher level of care, referrals are made either through emergency medical services (e.g. ambulance) or more usually through Planned Patient Transport (PPT).

The Department of Health is also committed to bringing services closer to children. Strategies to achieve this include:

  • Specialised clinicians and allied health/rehabilitation professionals provide specialised outreach services at primary health care facilities.
  • At household and community level Ward Based Primary Health Care Outreach Teams screen and refer children to local clinics.
  • Provision of outreach services through Primary Health Care and specialised mobiles (such as dental mobiles or optometric mobiles).
  • Non-governmental organisations provide community based rehabilitation services including home based services on behalf of the Department of Health.
  • The Department of Health also collaborates with the Department of Social Development to ensure that eligible children receive social grants, and are able to access other social services.


Source file