04 December 2020 - NW2721
Powell, Ms EL to ask the Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation
(1) Whether he will furnish Ms E L Powell with the names of all persons (a) currently (b) previously (i) permanently and/or (ii) temporarily employed as members of the National Rapid Response Task Teams (NRRTT) in the Departments of (aa) Water and Sanitation and (bb) Human Settlements since May 2019; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, on what date; (2) on what statutory ground were appointments to the NRRTT made; (3) what is the (a) total cost to company remuneration of each employee in each week, month and year and (b) expense allowance such as travel and cell phone allowance of each employee; (4) whether any bonuses were paid to any employees; if not, why not, if so, what are the relevant details
(1) Honourable Member, the document titled “Guide to Parliamentary Questions in the National Assembly” prohibits Members of Parliament, including Members of the Executive, from providing names of people or companies. The document referred to states that:
“Questions are to be framed as concisely as possible. All unnecessary adjectives, references and quotations are omitted. Names of persons, bodies and, for example, newspapers are only used in questions if the facts surrounding the case have been proven. As the mere mention of such names could be construed as publicity for or against them, it should be clear that this practice is highly undesirable. If a question will be unintelligible without mentioning such names, the Departments concerned are notified of the name (-s) and this phrase is used: ".......a certain person (name furnished)”
Department of Water and Sanitation:
(2) Members of the NRRTT for Water and Sanitation are appointed in terms of Section 76(1) of the National Water Services Act.
(3) No travel allowances are provided for members of the NRRTT. However, Members of the NRRTT can submit claims when they have utilised own transport to undertake official duties.
(4) No bonuses were paid to members of the NRRTT. They are only remunerated for the hours worked, in keeping with the rates determined by the Minister for Public Service and Administration.
Department of Human Settlements:
(2) Appointments were done additional to the establishment as per Public Services Regulations.
(3) The members are remunerated at a daily rate of R5 549 per day for a maximum of 20 days per month for the Chairperson and the Deputy Chairperson and at a daily rate of R4 317 per day for a maximum of 12 days per month for all the other members.
Each payable on submission of individual monthly claims, substantiated with meetings attended (register) and reports on actual work done.
The Department has made a cellular phone allowance available to the members on a monthly basis, to the value of R1 200.00 per month on submission of valid invoice within 30 days, as per Departmental Cellular Phone Policy.
(4) There are no bonuses applicable to members of the National Rapid Response Task Team on Human Settlements.