Question NW2319 to the Minister of Transport
01 December 2020 - NW2319
Mabhena, Mr TB to ask the Minister of Transport
(1)Whether, in light of a feasibility report of October 2014, with a directive that the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa) should submit a Treasury Approval 1 (TA 1) application to the National Treasury for funding considerations which Prasa subsequently submitted to the National Treasury on 30 October 2014, the TA 1 was approved by the National Treasury; (2) (a) with reference to his reply to question 526 on 12 September 2019, who formed part of the Political Oversight Committee and (b) what is the name of the chairperson?
(1)(a) The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA), submitted the Moloto Rail Corridor, Public Private Partnership (PPP), Treasury Approval 1 application to National Treasury for consideration, on 30 October 2014. On 3 December 2015, the Director General of National Treasury responded to the CEO of PRASA informing him that the Treasury Approval 1 application was not granted.
(2)(a) Membership of the Political Oversight Committee (POC) consisted of political representatives at the level of Minister/Member of the Executive Council/Executive Mayor and representatives from Departments, as follows:
- Department of Economic Development;
- Department of Finance or National Treasury;
- Department of Trade and Industry;
- Department of Water and Environmental Affairs;
- Department of Rural Development & Land Reform
- Gauteng Department of Roads and Transport;
- Limpopo Department of Roads and Transport;
- Mpumalanga Department of Public Works, Roads and Transport;
- Nkangala District Municipality;
- Sekhukhune District Municipality;
- City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality;
- Thembisile Hani Local Municipality
- Dr JS Moroka Local Municipality
- Presidential Infrastructure Coordinating Committee (PICC) – Strategic Infrastructure Project 1 (SIP1) Coordinator
(2)(b) The Chairperson of the Political Oversight Committee was the Minister of Transport.