20 October 2020 - NW2004
Gondwe, Dr M to ask the Minister of Social Development
With reference to her reply to question 1264 on 19 June 2020, (a) on what date will the process of appointing additional assessment doctors in (i) George and (ii) Boland region be finalised and (b) what other measures does the SA Social Security Agency have in place to ensure that the backlog of assessments in George is cleared up?
SASSA George Local Office:
Currently, the George Local Office has 3 contracted medical doctors with the focus on medical assessments for clients who could not fulfil their medical appointments due to the lockdown.
The SASSA George Local Office has also engaged the District of the Department of Health for the opening of the clinics and to make more doctors available for client initiated medical assessments. The District of the Department of Healthcould only assist with the opening of the clinics for theSASSA contracted doctors to commence with the client initiated medical assessments.
b) The following measures are in place to eradicate the existing backlog of clients waiting to be assessed.
- Fridays are dedicated for disability applications/appointments at SASSA local offices
- 9 contracted doctors are available to render services with the process to contract more doctors underway.
- Bookings for assessments are done according to a schedule agreed between SASSA and Department of Health.
- Clients are contacted and given a date for assessment.
- Only a limited number of clients can be booked on a specific day at a specific site due to the need to comply with the health measures in place.
- The Department of Health also follows a health initiated process where the treating doctor requests and completes the medical form for clients that they deal with and where they feel a disability grant is warranted. SASSA will then contact the client for an appointment to complete the administrative application process.
National AssemblyWritten Reply: 2004 of 2020
Approved by the Minister of Social Development