20 July 2020 - NW1176
Gondwe, Dr M to ask the Minister of Home Affairs
In light of the upcoming Local Government Elections in 2021, what measures has his department put in place to ensure that all eligible voters have proper identity documents, in particular voters in the rural areas where Home Affairs offices are few?
- The Department of Home Affairs has a constitutional obligation to provide equitable and quality service to the population of the Republic of South Africa residing in both rural and urban areas. The Department through its footprint development and optimisation strategy adopted a multi-channel strategy to deliver its services and this strategy utilizes the combination of traditional distribution channels (Physical Infrastructure), non-traditional channels (Mobile Units), partnerships with Public and Private organizations and the use of Information Communication Technology (ICT) to deliver on its services as well as to improve Geographic access to its service and quality of services the department delivers. The department established its distribution channels through the utilization of a scientific method to assess the provision and location of its services which includes the Geographic information system that assist the department to determine the optimal number and locations of traditional channels it requires to meet the service delivery needs of the population residing in both rural and urban areas.
- The provision of the Department’s distribution channels is determined by the Accessibility models that the Department utilises in order to determine optimal locations to establish its facilities.
- The Department has 412 offices accross the country through which services are rendered to the public.
- The Department has also increased its roll-out to 26 Banks where clients can lodge applications for Smart ID Cards.
- Mobile Units are also being equiped with the new live capture technology for deployment to rural areas.
- Provincial offices, through the Stakeholder Forum structures that has been established at Provincial, district and local municipality levels, mobilizes communities where they live to apply and collect their identity documents applied for.
- It is a standard practice for DHA to align its operating hours to that of the IEC during voter registration dates as well as on the actual election day(s).