16 July 2020 - NW1394
Weber, Ms AMM to ask the Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment
(1) What number of other breeding and preservation facilities are currently in the Kruger National Park; (2) whether any of the other bleeding and preservation facilities suffered similar losses as the roan antelope breeding programme; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details in each case; (3) whether the Senior Ranger from the roan antelope breeding programme who was dismissed had any verbal and/or written warnings; if so, what (a) number of warnings and (b) were the changes in each case; and (4) whether the specified ranger had a previous disciplinary record; if so, what controls were put in place by the Department in order for him not to regress again?
(1) Currently, there are no other animal breeding camps in the Kruger National Park other than the Nwaxitsumbe Roan Bleeding Facility.
(2) In 2012, a total of 45 roan antelope died of Anthrax disease in the Capricorn Breeding Camp during August of that year. The breeding camp was subsequently dismantled in 2014.
(3) Yes, the Senior Ranger from the roan antelope breeding programme was dismissed on 25 April 2014 but challenged his dismissal at the CCMA, and as a result thereof, a Settlement Agreement was reached at the CCMA in terms of which he was re-instated on the 17th of November 2014.
(4) See (3) above
(5) After his reinstatement, the ranger was transferred from Nwanetsi Section to Shangoni Section. There were no further incidents that have been brought to my attention until the incident in 2020