22 June 2020 - NW1189
Van Dyk, Ms V to ask the Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture
(1) Whether the new Chief Executive Officer of the National Library of South Africa (NLSA) appointed a certain person (details furnished) while the NLSA was closed during the lockdown to curb the Covid-19 pandemic; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, will the specified person be earning an acting allowance during lockdown;
(1) Yes, the specified person was appointed and will be earning an acting allowance during the lockdown in line with the NLSA’s Acting Policy.
(2) (a) The salary scale for Directors on level 12 is from R933 995 to R1 0600.
(b) As per the NLSA’s Acting Policy, an acting allowance is the difference between the current package and the minimum of the position the person is acting on. The salary bracket for the position of Executive Director starts at R1.2 million.
(3) (a) Yes, the position was advertised from 4 to 21 February 2020.
(b) NQF Level 9 qualification in Business Administration/Human Resources Management/Legal or an equivalent qualification coupled with six to ten years of senior management experience in the public service.
(c) Total number of applications received were 44.
(d) The Selection Panel was comprised of the following members:
- Mr Lufuno Nematshwerani, Chairperson: HR & REMCo
- Mr Jimmy Morakile, Chairperson: Information Communications Technology Board Sub-Committee
- Dr Buhle Mbambo-Thata, Chairperson: Research and Knowledge Management Board Sub-Committee
- Mr Kepi Madumo, National Librarian and CEO
- Ms Matuma Masipa, Director: Human Resources Management (Custodian People Processes)
(e) Unfortunately, no decision can be shared at this stage, the recruitment process is still in progress.
(4) Yes, in the acting role the incumbent fulfills their own duties as well as those of the position they are acting in. Qualifications include a Master’s in Business Administration degree, a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and a Diploma in Public Relations Management.