19 June 2020 - NW1121
Chirwa, Ms NN to ask the Minister of Health
By what date is it envisaged that his department will fill the 13% vacancy rate at Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital (details furnished)?
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Dr Lesia confirmed that as at 31 May 2020, the vacancy rate of the Hospital stood at 11,77%, since the process to fill the vacant posts is ongoing.
The details are as follows:
One post of Senior Manager: Nursing was filled; and the successful candidate assumed duty on 01 June 2020. The processes are underway to fill the following posts:
- 1 Quality Assurance Manager: 01 July 2020
- 1 Senior Clinical Manager: 01 January 2021
As at 31 May 2020, vacancies for Administration cadre stood at 171 reduced from the 202 number as mentioned above.
- 31 Administration Clerks were appointed and commenced work on 01 June 2020.
- 34 posts are in the process of being filled for 01 July 2020.
- 21 posts are in the process of being filled around August and September, respectively.
3. Allied Support
Only 1 Specialised Auxiliary Services post has been filled because the department is prioritising the critical l posts.
41 support staff have been appointed; and 26 Cleaners have assumed duty on Monday 15 June 2020.
Medical posts are filled on a continuous basis.
- A replacement process is adopted for vacated posts in the Hospital for clinicians. It is for this reason that the 95 vacant posts were reduced to 68 as at 31 May 2020, with 27 appointments confirmed.
- The Department/Hospital has a generic open advertisement that allows recruitment of medical staff as and when it is required.
Like with Medical posts, there is an open advertisement for nursing positions. 10 posts from the 253 vacant posts will be filled from 01 July 2020 as applicants received offers, and they have confirmed start date.
The National Department of Health will engage the Gauteng Department of Health to further assist Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital to access the Disaster Management Funds in order to fill the outstanding critical vacant posts.