Question NW319 to the Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation
25 May 2020 - NW319
Powell, Ms EL to ask the Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation
(1)What are the details of the (a) undertakings she made in response to the recent protests regarding addressing challenges of water availability in QwaQwa in the Free State and (b) progress made in respect of such undertakings; (2) whether she will provide the information on the progress made in this regard to date to Ms E L Powell; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details?
(1) (a) In response to the recent protests that occurred in January 2020 regarding addressing challenges of water availability in QwaQwa in the Free State I had committed to the following:
- Sedibeng Water would be appointed as the implementing agent with regard to all issues related to water challenges.
- A total amount of R220 million will be ring fenced to address water challenges faced by the community of Qwaqwa.
- A total of 5000 water tanks to be procured to increase the number of water tankers (trucks) on the ground
- Equip boreholes to provide water relief
- Explore new technologies to address water challenges
- Establish a Hotline and Call Centre to deal with immediate challenges related to water.
- Sedibeng Water to establish the War Room.
(b) Progress made with regard to the commitments made by the Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation are as follows:
- Sedibeng Water was appointed as the Implementing Agent for drought intervention in Maluti-a-Phofung Local Municipality.
- R54 million was allocated in the financial year ending March 2020. More funds are to be allocated in this financial year.
- Seventeen (17) boreholes were equipped with submersible pumps and hand pumps and a total of five (5) boreholes were equipped and connected to the network.
- Potential service providers were invited and presented their technologies which included:
- Package Water Treatment Works that can be installed quicker than the conventional Water Treatment Works.
- Pumps that do not use electricity.
- A Steering Committee was established and consists of various stakeholders from the community and government representatives.
- Stakeholders Forum has been established and is chaired by the Free State MEC COGTA.
- Maluti-A-Phofung Drought Intervention Programme War Room has also been established by the Sedibeng Water Board.
- A call centre has been equipped and resourced and an application done to Telkom for a hotline which will be operational once Telkom has finalised the installation.
- 136 units of 5,000 litres (5 kL) water tanks have been distributed.
- 30 units of 10,000 litre (10 kL) tanks have been distributed.
- Construction of masonry tank stands has commenced in Ward 28 (Leribe, Theosane, Mabolela and Mabolela Central) and Ward 15 (Thabang, Masimong, Madimong, Sekgutlong).
- 25 Water Tankers of 16 000 litre capacity are delivering water to the affected areas.
- The Maluti-A-Phofung LM has hired 29 trucks from the local contractors.
(2) Progress is as indicated in (1)(b) above.