12 May 2020 - NW690
Mhlongo, Mr TW to ask the Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture
(1) In which (a) city and (b) province is the SA Football Museum located; (2) whether the National Lotteries Commission allocated R9,5 million towards the specified museum in 2016; (3) what are the full details of what the specified money was used for; (4) what are the names of the board members of the association and/or federation to whom the funds were allocated; (5) whether he has found the R9,5 million that was allocated towards the cause to be value for money; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details? NW892E
(1). According to the South African Football Association the SA Football Museum is an idea which has not come to fruition yet. They need funders to realise the idea.
However it has been established that the SA Football Museum is a Section 21 non-profit company established to build an exhibition for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. According to the Project Director of the SA Football Museum:
(a) The South African Football Museum is not a physical entity and is therefore not physically located in any city or province.
(b) This exhibition referred to above is currently housed in the grandstand entrance of the FNB Stadium, Johannesburg, Gauteng
(2) The South African Football Museum was awarded R7,4million from the SA National Lottery. The monies were received in 2 tranches (2014 and 2016)
(3) According to the SA Football Museum the funds were used to build another exhibition in celebration of South Africa’s 20 years of democracy. The focus of the exhibition was to celebrate South Africa’s 20year history of successfully hosting international sporting competitions.
(4) The names of the members of the non-profit organisation; The South African Football Museum are:
- Philippa M Freer
- Rehaad James
- Leepile Taunyane
(5) The SA Football Museum has requested an engagement with the Department to consider the possibility of the exhibition reaching a wider audience.