06 March 2020 - NW101
Tarabella - Marchesi, Ms NI to ask the Minister of Basic Education
(1) Whether a school may use its own discretion in terms of Comprehensive Sexuality Education as long as they meet national guidelines; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what are the relevant details; (2) what number of teachers have received training on Comprehensive Sexuality Education; (3) whether any planning was done in this regard; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details; (4) whether learners will give input and be given an opportunity to give feedback on Comprehensive Sexuality Education; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details?
1. The syllabus that is taught in public schools is informed by the Curriculum Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS). Schools may not use their own discretion in this regard. This equally applies to the Life Skills /Life Orientation subjects, which includes Sexuality Education.
2. A total of 6356 Life Orientation and Life Skills teachers from the pilot schools have been trained.
3. The implementation of the pilot was planned with relevant officials.
4. Learners participated in the pilot and further provided input on the learner books.