12 September 2019 - NW599
Langa, Mr TM to ask the Minister of Trade and Industry
Which South African companies with manufacturing capacity in the Republic are able to produce (a) train carriages and (b) train lines?
A number of companies, both domestic and foreign-owned, have local manufacturing or related factories in South Africa. The following are some of the key local companies that assemble; refurbish; and/ or maintain locomotives, wagons and passenger trains:
- Transnet Engineering (TE) manufactures, refurbishes and maintains all classes of rail rolling stock at its various facilities across South Africa.2
- Gibela Rail Consortium is manufacturing the new trains for the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) at their facility in Dunnottar, Nigel.
- Alstom Ubunye is previously known as Union Carriage and Wagon (UCW). They have capacity to manufacture and refurbish both locomotives and passenger coaches.
- TMH Africa is previously known as DCD Rolling Stock plant. This facility has the capacity to do the assembly, maintenance and modernisation of locomotives and wagons.
- Naledi Rail Engineering (Pty) Ltd has the capacity to refurbish passenger coaches for PRASA at their facility in Germiston.
- Wictra Holdings (Pty) Ltd has the capacity to refurbish passenger coaches for the PRASA and locomotives at their facilities in Cape Town (Brackenfell) and Boksburg (Dunswart).
- Traxtion Sheltam is involved in locomotive rebuild and overhaul at their facility in Rosslyn.
- African Rail and Traction Services (Pty) Ltd – the previous Grindrod facility – is involved in the repair, reconditioning and upgrading of locomotives and track-mobiles at their facility in Pretoria West.
- Amsted Rail (formerly owned by SCAW Metal) based in Boksburg produces cast wheels for the domestic rail industry
- Highveld Structural Steel produces rail-lines currently supplying to the mining industry.
There is a further number of companies in the supply chain at various levels that support the above mentioned companies with sub-systems; components; materials and associated services.