07 August 2019 - NW310
Van Der Walt, Ms D to ask the Minister of the Basic Education
With reference to the state of the nation address on 7 February 2019, (a) which schools will be transformed into technical schools in each province in order to expand participation in the new technological specialisations, (b) what is the time frame in each case, (c) what are the details of how the transformation will take place and (d) what costs will be incurred in each case?
a) The Plan is to have a Technical High School in each Circuit. Provinces have not yet identified the schools to be transformed into technical schools.
b) The time frame for the transformation and expansion of schools will be over a period of 5 years starting in 2020 – 2025.
c) Details of how the transformation will take place:
- Identification of schools by the 9 Provincial Education Departments;
- Mapping of schools in circuits to be undertaken;
- An onsite audit of schools will be conducted by the National and Provincial Departments;
- Mathematics, Science and Technology (MST) Conditional Grant covers all schools offering Technical Occupational and Technical vocational subjects.
d) Costs that will be incurred in each case will include the following:
- Infrastructure renovation and construction (workshops).
- Provisioning of equipment tools and consumables for the Technical specialisation subjects.
- Human Resource recruitment.